ML320 GPS

Has tracking as anyone subscribed to Mercedes gps tracking option (on demand low jack). The demo looks impressive, but would like to know real world experiences. tia

Reply to
Steve

I had the initial one year complimentary subscription to Teleaid. The only time I ever used it was during the initial configuration at delivery. I did a factory delivery of my M-Class, so I was sitting in the MB-USI Alabama factory when I was going through the configuration. The Teleaid operator was verifying my location and said I was on an "unnamed county road in Tuscaloosa, Alabama". I found it funny that they didn't even know that this was the location of their own factory!

As for the accuracy, it should be as good as any commercial GPS unit. Keep in mind that the Lojack-style system is handled by Teleaid, which is standard on all ML's and available on any MBZ model. It uses both an analog cell phone and a GPS receiver. If the cell phone is out of range, then the system is worthless. The ML also offers an optional GPS navigation system that uses the MCS screen and a CD-ROM along with a tap in to the Teleaid's PS receiver. This requires no subscription service, but also no Lojack-style features because it is nothing more than a GPS receiver with a map overlay. It is fairly accurate, or at least as good as most any GPS system out there. It's major flaw is that prior to 2004, it was a CD-ROM based system so you had to buy multiple discs to cover the entire US, but the newer models are DVD-based.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Reply to
mpb