MO Tyres for C220 CDI Coupe

With 20k miles on the clock I need to replace the full set - (I could maybe have stretched this out by swapping the tyres Right to Left as the left tyres get more use. I guess I am happier pushing harder on a right
hand bend than on a left hand bend.) The tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45 ZR17 with an "MO" which indicates a Mercedes specific tyre. I can't find anything definitive about whether the MO indicates a different tread pattern (according to one thread) or whether it is due to a different tyre wall thickness (local tyre dealer said this might be the case) or whether there is a difference in the bead seat profile on the MB wheels. There are different variants of the PS for Audi, Porsche and MB in additional to the plain vanilla PS or PS2. Can anyone give a definitive explanation as I am not sure whether to hold out and wait for some MOs on special order or simply go with the plain PS2s that the local tyre dealers have in stock.
TIA
Matt
Any tires will do... no need for special "MO" tires.
Tiger wrote:

Thanks Tiger, I was looking for a more specific response really. If the tyres are 'special' then what's the difference? I suspect that the MO isn't just an anti theft stamp like they put on government property that makes it hard for MB staff to refit their vehicles with factory stock. This is possible though and I expect that there is no major harm in fitting standard PS tyres but I am curious to know what the difference is before I discover that the ride or handling aren't quite as smooth as a 'special' can provide.
Matt
I don't know how it work in your country... but tire is tire and shouldn't make any difference at all. You don't even need to fit the same brand and model as you have unless you are absolutely happy with it.
You said this set of tire only lasted you 20,000 miles... I would not be happy with that kind of treadlife.

I got 15,000 miles out of the tires on my 928, I was slightly dissapointed, but this is the sort of life you get from truely *sticky* tires
It is a trade off, if I got 50,000 mile tires, I micht just fly off the road rounding a corner when i reach the limits of the tires adhesion. Since the car is much more expensive, I choose to spend my money replacing tires more often. :)
Bernard

On 2004-10-17 07:59:58 -0700, "Bernard Farquart"

I thought this too, but my tire guy here in seattle says it just isn't so...
Still, it makes sense to me that a softer "stickier" tire would wear away faster.
Marty

There is no *operational* difference between them and the "generic" tires of the same type. The MO designation is put on them to comply with certain countries unwieldy regulations requiring all parts of the car to be certified *together* including the exact tires. (I forget which countries, but someone should chime in here with them) If your country has no regulations as far as replacing tires with factory only, then I would suggest the PS2 pole positions, unbeatable grip in my experience.
Bernard
Bernard Farquart wrote:

I got some answers from Michelin... "The 'MO' notation, stated on the tyre sidewall, indicates that the specific tyre has been fully homologated/accepted by Mercedes, when tested by the vehicle manufacturer for fitment as original equipment. Concerning Michelin tread pattern 'Pilot Sport', the included angle on the 'V' shape of the directional pattern has actually been altered/tuned (sharper angle) for Mercedes vehicles. "
and fitting advice...
"Ideally full vehicle set of 'Pilot Sport MO' Ideally full vehicle set of 'New Pilot Sport (PS2)' Acceptable, although not ideal: Front axle pair 'Pilot Sport MO', with rear axle pair 'New Pilot Sport (PS2)'"
So, I'll be fitting a set of PS2s at the weekend and making a note of the mileage so that I can think about rotating them to make them last a little longer.
Matt