Most Economical (MPG) Mercedes Coupe / Roadster?

Hello,
I'm in Europe and am about to buy my first ever Mercedes. I had been thinking about a 380Sec for awhile (mainly cause Andy Garcia drove one in the movie Jennifer 8 and I fell in love with it) :)
However, I've just discovered that fuel consumption is only 20 MPG or so that really rules tat model out for me I think.
Is there a Mercedes Coupe or Roadster that would get me 35 MPG or am I just kidding myself?
Thanks in advance,
Nathan
Mmm... I can only think of Mercedes A-class for that kind of mileage...that is coupe. But if you are in Europe, then you got lots of coupe choices.
In US? You are kidding yourself.
Plenty of diesels that easily beat 35.
Alec

Alec wrote:

I'm running a C220 CDI coupe that returns nearly 50mpg on my daily 40 mile commute which is a mix of winding local roads and motorway. A service interval of 14k miles also seems good to me.
Matt
Yes. No car with a 3.8 l petrol engine is going to return 35 mpg (Imperial or otherwise).
There is a CLK 270 diesel. Otherwise look at '200' SLKs or CLKs for lowest fuel consumption.
The official figures will be on the Merc website.
DAS

Interesting! I have exactly the opposite preference. Just shows you, there's nowt as cussed as folk (said with a northern English accent).
I have the last of the CLKs (cabrio) with the bonnet star and, although I almost like the current version better, the star is on the grille. :-((
The main reason is that you can see the upright bonnet star when looking out of windscreen when driving; if you can't the view is like just about out of any other car... Maybe I also remember the days when the bonnet was a vast flat expanse stretching out in front, with a nice sight at the end (e.g. the venerable W123); now the bonnets slope away, making it a bit more difficult to see the star.
The DC policy is a grille star on every 'sporty' model, including the C-Class Sports Coupe. :-(((
:-) DAS

I have a w116 (300sd) and that is a large flat expanse, to be sure! I also think the star riding out ahead of me is a nice feature.
Bernard
[...]

Speaking of which, I have the original C230K Sport Coupe (with the 2.3L engine) and it gets about 33 MPG on the highway (according to the trip computer, which always seems a smidge on the optomistic side). With a mix of city/highway driving as part of my daily commute (22 miles each way), I average just over 28 MPG on a tank.
I routinely hit speeds over 70 MPH during the highway part of my commute, and nearly half of the commute is stop-and-go city street driving.
The newer C230K (with the 1.8L engine) should do a little better, and one of the detuned European models (C180K, for example) should do even better than that.
Oh, and I'm a fan of the grille star. It's sportier-looking. And I don't have to worry about somebody trying to pry a hood ornament off my car.
--Paul ** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **

Hi Paul,
Glad to see I'm not alone. I live in a part of Dublin (Ireland not Ihio <g>) that a bonnet mounted star wouldn't last two seconds in so that is also part of why I would just have to have a grille based star.
I think a 560SEC is out of league at the moment - the insurance and MPG would be just far expensive for my pocket. E Class Coupe's 30 MPG is very tempting but no grille based star so that rules tat out.
Which just really leaves the SLK and the CLK. I allready gave my thoughts on the SLK - it's just far to feminine looking - beautiful looking front though. Those lights are gorgeous. I wish they were on the CLK or even the C Class Coupe for that matter.
C Class Coupe I rule out by the way - as I hate it's rear .. it's just not pretty. The CLK is far nicer .. it's no SEC .. but it still looks very nice.
So, I am just really now considering a 30 MPG E Class Coupe with it's bonnet based star or a 2.0l CLK .. maybe an early one and buy a new grille for it.
I asked earlier had any Saloons or Sedans ever been equiped with a 'sport grile' - well, I was just checking out Benzworld and came across two guy's who had installed sport grlles on their C Class's! Check them out - be interested to see what you guys make of them.
Nathan
http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID 138
http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatIDd25
Hi,
Here's my favourite pic of those links by the way. I actually think it looks way better than the C Class Coupe.
I could even get C220 CDi and get 45 MPG with a half decent insurance quote :) Anyone know where to buy these grilles in Europe?
http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/6425257051428200392538PM.jpg
Nathan