Motor mounts

For any of you who are recent diesel owners, as I am:
Purchased a 1985 190d several months ago and assumed that some fairly significant vibration and noise were to be expected. However, I
recently replaced the motor mounts and had valves adjusted, and I can't believe it's the same car.
Vibration is virtually eliminated, noise level reduced dramatically, effortless starts and smooth take offs / acceleration. Did not know older diesels could perform as well as this. Almost feels like a gasser.
Motor mounts were originals and the valves obviously hadn't been adjusted in some time, but the improvement in performance is extraordinary. Makes me wonder if some people get rid of diesels prematurely - when all they might need is mounts and / or valve adjustment.
I would not expect motor mounts are a routine maintenance item, but with the torque and vibration of diesels, I suspect that 20 yrs is well beyond expected life. Can anyone tell me a recommended or reasonable life span for motor mounts on the 190d (manual)? Also recommended span between valve adjustment?
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Where are you?
I am puzzled. If you bought a 1985 190D, then I can assume you bought a 190D 2.2 in a 201 body? If yes, this is a 601 series engine with hydraulic elements. What adjustment did they make??