mp3 CDs

I have a new U.S. 2006 C280. The specification in the dealer supplied literature states that the in-dash single-CD player comes with mp3 capability. As delivered, the in-dash CD player in my car plays
standard audio CDs but not mp3 CDs. The owners manual states that the in-dash CD player does NOT play mp3 formatted CDs while the optional CD changer will play mp3 CDs. I do not have the optional CD changer. An mp3 formatted CD can hold over 12 hours of music.
MB customer relations says "Mercedes-Benz reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice, in ... equipment, specifications and models." I was told that MB made a mid-year model change deleting the mp3 capability from the in-dash CD player and then referred me to my dealer. Representatives at the dealer have been courteous but not helpful.
This is my first Mercedes-Benz and I find it disturbing that the company believes that it can eliminate any feature and ignore the customer.
Does anyone have a 2006 model with an in-dash CD player that plays mp3 formatted CDs?
Whom should I speak with at the corporate level?
my A180 plays any CD I care to put in it. (06 Reg)