MPG tips

When it comes to gas mileage, what is the ideal speed for highway driving in a Mercedes? Also, what are some good tips to improve mileage? (In addition to the usual things like no hard acceleration, etc). Thanks!

Reply to
Ben

20MPH
Reply to
Martin Joseph

a Mercedes? Also, what are some good tips to

etc). Thanks!

Down hill too!

Reply to
cp

Mercedes? Also, what are some good tips to improve

Depends on the car, engine, gearing. Make sure tires are properly inflated and all filters in good shape.

cp

Reply to
cp

Keep your car/boot (trunk) clear of unnecessary loads. Apparently every 100 kg add a litre per hundred km.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

- of course keep air restistance down, no roof rack with skis, bikes or surfboards,

- don´t push the engine to high rev/m before it is varm and smoothly running,

- let it run on an even speed (rv/m),

some additionals depend on the make you drive,

- lower the suspension,

- set the car in comfort mode

- use distronic, radar dependent, speed control, as much as it is possible to do safely,

We usually get between 9 l to 10.1 l /100 km from our E500T. Would most probably get more if we disconnected, phone, navigation, music, and most important the AC, whid takes a lot of energy to run.

Per

Reply to
Per Löwdin

As slow as you can get away with, and at a constant speed. It's boring, but I can get really great milage in my E320 4-matic when I take it easy. During the latest price hikes here I kept to the speed limits and accellerated as cautiously as possible and saved a significant number of miles per dollar. (But that's boring, so I usually get around 21MPG...)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Alternatively, if you want good mileage and excitement get the smallest engine available and floor it every chance you get.

Also get the extended warranty.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

As an American might put it, it ain't necessarily so...

Or, why would some larger engines return similar mpgs to smaller ones?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

The larger ones don't have to work as hard as the smaller ones... cp

Reply to
cp

If your fuel economy suffers from using electronics (i.e radio, Phone, GPS, etc), then you have some serious problems in the car. The alternator turns all the time, only the AC should put a load on the car and cause an economy drop. You can cruise all day long with the Radio and GPS on, it will not affect the milage.

Reply to
thomcasey

Actually this is wrong (somewhat)...

Although the alternator turns all the time, it has more resistance when it is needing more juice.

Still this effect is negligible. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Nevertheless, when Mercedes claims it does 100 km on 8.4 - 8.6 litre, I am convinced they turn everything off that is not essential for keeping the car moving. In any case between 9 and 10 litres is not bad for a 5 litre V8.

Per

Reply to
Per Löwdin