Muffler longevity

Has anyone had any experience with how long a muffler should last on a '95 E320? I'm considering replacing mine (112K miles) and wasn't sure if the muffler was still viable (the car sounds much "deeper" than I remember, and a lot deeper than my '99) and if I do replace it should I go with an Eberspaecher or an Ansa.

Reply to
Josh

marlinspike

Perhaps a better description is "loud" rather than "deep" (sort of like someone has cranked up the bass...).

Reply to
Josh

Check whether i got a leak first.

k-beast E14

Reply to
admin

I'ev checked for holes, etc. along the exhaust system and muffler. Nothing seen, nor is there any rust. A mechanic told me that it is possible that some of the material inside of the muffler has broken down (fiberglass?).

Reply to
Josh

Then its time to get a new one. What you should think of is whether to get an after market or mercedes.

k-beast E14

Reply to
admin

My '87 420 just developed a muffler leak this winter...not bad. But then that was a pre-Chrysler muffler.

Reply to
John