My E500 (Best E Class ever)

There's TWO reverse gears? why?

cp

Reply to
cp

Winter mode.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Come to think of it, I could use that too sometimes... cp

Reply to
cp

I just sat in one at the local dealership with everything in it (navigation, air suspension, etc.) except the leather / wood steering wheel and it stickered at $55+. It is the best looking M-B in the lineup IMO, I'm glad to hear that people are having positive experiences with it, I'm trying to decide between it and a 5 series BMW. I like the looks of the MB waaaay better, but the BMW is a bit cheaper and I'm concerned about all the remarks in the car rags about the braking and steering systems doing strange things; Claude, have you experienced any of these oddities??

I personally think the optional panoramic sun roof option is one of the coolest things I've seen in a new car in long time, I sat in the back seat and it really seemed to open it up, I think it would really help rear seat passengers on long drives.

Now, where are you so I can come over and drive it for a while??? :-)

Bob K.

Reply to
bobukcat

Hello Bob,

The brakes just take a little getting acquainted with. As a Skip Barber graduate, brake pedal modulation and smooth stops are of paramount importance to me. I think that one will have a tendency at first to over modulate the brakes in normal conditions. As you drive the car you soon realize that you are rewarded for being gentle on the controls. I am able to achieve perfectly smooth stops and smooth trail braking. I did rent a

2003 E320 for a few days last year and I was not able to modulate the brakes as well. I'm not sure if it has to do with the airmatic suspension in my E500 or if MB took heed to the reviews and tweaked the brake by wire system.

The airmatic is not always totally silent when the bladders fill. The occasional slight groan does not bother me and I assume that it is normal. The ride is just as smooth as can be in comfort mode. In sport mode it is typical Mercedes firm, but still compliant. I cant help but think that the

7 speed auto brings 0 - 60 times to somewhere near 5.5 seconds on a good day. I remember when that was 911 Turbo league.

Claude

Bestswimwear.com

premium designer swimwear.Online since 1996.

(navigation,

Reply to
Claude Dauman

Yup, it's one of the best cars Porsche ever made! You will find their name on a plate in your car as well as Recaro branding on the seats. P.

entertainment

Reply to
pkmaven

Yes, the E500 is a nice car, just drove one from Stuttgart to Sweden. One can drive in 100 mph for hours and it is quite and comfortable as one´s living room. In fact it is only when it goes faster than 125 one notices that one is going really darn fast. It is great fun to drive on small twisting roads too.

However, we are less happy with a persistent yellow engine warning light, a mercedes workshop in Lindau said it was ok to drive the car all the way to Sweden, and all functions appear to work, but it should not be there considering that the car had done only 2000 miles and we bought it straight from Mercedes.

Per

Reply to
Per Löwdin

Just curious: where did you cross the sea? Elsinore?

Presumably many of those 2000 miles were to take the car home?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling