My first car

Page 1 of 3
Just got my driver's license, my birthday's coming up, and my parents are buying my first car, but it can't be more than $40k ;~( (gotta save for college + med school).
So far, I'm considering the 2004 Acura 3.2TL, Jaguar X-Type 3.0, and Mercedes C240, all with nav systems.
My sister has a 2002 C240; its styling is cute, but it's had quite a few problems with the electronics and has pokey acceleration.
Comments and suggestions welcome.
TIA

I will treat this as a "real" scenario.
All the cars listed are nice but I personally would get an older volvo turbo stick. Handles well, plenty of power and makes a statemen. If you get an 80's 240 you can work on it yourself (actually a pleasurable hobby). Lots of money left over for other things.
Alternatively you could get a new Subaru WRX Sti. All the performace you could want, very "in" and less than the cars listed above. Also with the Subaru there is a good chance that the family would see significant savings on College and postgrad expenses.
Cheers Howard
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:20:16 GMT

ROTFLMAO
Helar
snipped-for-privacy@voila.fr (Beacon) wrote in

Really? Well, guess what? I'm the guy in the Paris Hilton video.
MusicMax wrote:

The lawyers have just released enough from one of grandma's funds for me to get a new Bugatti. But I prefer my rusty old Mercedes, and will spend the residue on drugs and bimbos.

Just remember that it is much cheaper to lease your bimbos than to buy them. For some reason, leased bimbos seem to have a much higher residual value.
Lee
Beacon wrote:

I simply do not believe that scenario!

In case the scenario should be real then none of these cars is the right decision: It is complete nonsense to give a 16-year-old with a fresh driving license a 40.000 car under the described circumstances.
Get a 5.000+ used Mercedes from the W124 series and then learn to drive - after two years or so you will have sufficient driving routine for an expensive car.
Juergen
I agree here. I always advise young people to get some real shitheap for a first car. To start with you only need insurance to cover other cars if you hit them, and dont have to worry about insuring for damage to the car you have. Insurance Compaines dont like young people. ( I always wondered why, when I was about 18, and when I got to 30 I knew, I was a maniac at 18)
Next is if it collects a few dints and bangs along the way, who cares, You are learning to drive and are bound to hit all sorts of things while parking, trees, posts, gutters etc. Driving down the road is the easy part.
Next is this car will be less than the depriciation on any of the cars you mention in the first, so financilly you'r in front, if you get more than a year out of it, its a bonus.
It also will not be worrried about someone stealing it.
It always pays to have some mechanical experiance, get a workshop manual for it and do some maintance yourself, you would be surprised how easy all this stuff is, and parts are readliy procurable at car wrecking yards ( junk yards, auto salavge yards, whatever they call them in your part of the world), knowing how things work can actually make you a better driver, as someone once said a racing driver is only a mechanic with good reflexes
Juergen . wrote:

Me too.

My first car was an 82 Volvo 245 Diesel... I'm happy my first car did 0-60 in 31 seconds. Once I learned to control a car with good reliability, and had one accident, I bought my 87 300D. The brick got all messed up but still soldiers on... and my merc doesn't have a scratch on it that wasn't there when I bought it.
In any case... I'd never buy a new merc (sans an E55AMG maybe) but the thought of a kid getting one as their first car is just rediculous. I'd get a new bimmer... less of a headache, and I hear that BMWs pull more girls than Benzes... right?
Mike
now this makes sense
Juergen . wrote:

Beacon wrote: (lots of nonsense)
Yes, we have understood you are on drugs!
Juergen
Errata: I had the wrong prices for the Acura; the correct prices/specs are:
2004 Mercedes-Benz C240 Sedan    32,280.00 Brilliant Silver Metallic    670.00 Ash Leather    1,470.00 317 Comfort Package    1,280.00 324 Sunroof Package    1,640.00 COMAND System w/o cassette    2,170.00     39,510.00
2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0    33,995.00 Topaz Metallic Paint    595.00 Premium Package    875.00 Destination    665.00 Navigation (Denso) 7" Touch Screen w/Single DVD Disc for Entire US & Canada    2,200.00     38,330.00
2004 Acura TL 5-Speed Automatic with Navigation System Satin Silvr Metallic / Quartz Leather    34,650.00 Destination    545.00 Gold Emblems    75.00     35,270.00
2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift    30,805.00 Destination    545.00 Leather Trim Value Package with Additional Options    2,539.00     33,889.00
Lee Sharp wrote:

What's a hoopty?
Juergen
I am glad you asked that question.
BTW, that rich kid (if real) must live in LA, full of posers..;-)
DAS --
Dori Schmetterling wrote:

Those postings are pure fakes I think.
And if not one can not blame the child - yes, the postings are childish - but the parents who do not know much about life, children, education amd responsibility.
Juergen
Slang of limited usage and use.
.
Dori Schmetterling wrote:

greek_philosophizer wrote:

Thanks for the eyplanation - in the meantime I have used google to get some interesting definitions.
And also interesting to have learned in this thread that one teacher uses such car for driving to school only - sad he/she has to do so!
Juergen -----------------------------------------------------

Yes, I had to go to Prof Google as a specific explanation was not posted here.
Did you see the site of the collection of definitions?
One 'illustration' is:
"If I went back to a hoopty from a Benz, would you poof and disappear like some of my friends?"
Good question.
DAS --
Juergen, a "hoopty" is what the people in the US refer to as a old oversized junky american car. Like a old Caddilac sedan deville...now I started something. Martin Autobahn Auto
Bnzmn600 wrote:

"The people" of the US do not use this term. Some peeple do.
.