My first car

Just got my driver's license, my birthday's coming up, and my parents are buying my first car, but it can't be more than $40k ;~( (gotta save for college + med school).

So far, I'm considering the 2004 Acura 3.2TL, Jaguar X-Type 3.0, and Mercedes C240, all with nav systems.

My sister has a 2002 C240; its styling is cute, but it's had quite a few problems with the electronics and has pokey acceleration.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

TIA

Reply to
Beacon

I will treat this as a "real" scenario.

All the cars listed are nice but I personally would get an older volvo turbo stick. Handles well, plenty of power and makes a statemen. If you get an

80's 240 you can work on it yourself (actually a pleasurable hobby). Lots of money left over for other things.

Alternatively you could get a new Subaru WRX Sti. All the performace you could want, very "in" and less than the cars listed above. Also with the Subaru there is a good chance that the family would see significant savings on College and postgrad expenses.

Cheers Howard

Reply to
hnelson

snipped-for-privacy@voila.fr (Beacon) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Really? Well, guess what? I'm the guy in the Paris Hilton video.

Reply to
MusicMax

I simply do not believe that scenario!

In case the scenario should be real then none of these cars is the right decision: It is complete nonsense to give a 16-year-old with a fresh driving license a 40.000 car under the described circumstances.

Get a 5.000+ used Mercedes from the W124 series and then learn to drive - after two years or so you will have sufficient driving routine for an expensive car.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

The lawyers have just released enough from one of grandma's funds for me to get a new Bugatti. But I prefer my rusty old Mercedes, and will spend the residue on drugs and bimbos.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

I agree here. I always advise young people to get some real shitheap for a first car. To start with you only need insurance to cover other cars if you hit them, and dont have to worry about insuring for damage to the car you have. Insurance Compaines dont like young people. ( I always wondered why, when I was about 18, and when I got to 30 I knew, I was a maniac at 18)

Next is if it collects a few dints and bangs along the way, who cares, You are learning to drive and are bound to hit all sorts of things while parking, trees, posts, gutters etc. Driving down the road is the easy part.

Next is this car will be less than the depriciation on any of the cars you mention in the first, so financilly you'r in front, if you get more than a year out of it, its a bonus.

It also will not be worrried about someone stealing it.

It always pays to have some mechanical experiance, get a worksh> Beac>

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk
40 thousand bucks? get a secondhand ferrari
Reply to
atwifa

For a kid who just learned how to drive? Wants to go to med school but has to "save up" for it. What a hoot.

I suugest a used Toyota Corolla instead.

Me too.

My first car was an 82 Volvo 245 Diesel... I'm happy my first car did 0-60 in 31 seconds. Once I learned to control a car with good reliability, and had one accident, I bought my 87 300D. The brick got all messed up but still soldiers on... and my merc doesn't have a scratch on it that wasn't there when I bought it.

In any case... I'd never buy a new merc (sans an E55AMG maybe) but the thought of a kid getting one as their first car is just rediculous. I'd get a new bimmer... less of a headache, and I hear that BMWs pull more girls than Benzes... right?

Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Right, man!

ROTFLMAO

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

I'm with you. He should by a little 308 or if he's lucky a 328 QV at about the 40K price point. Definitely makes a statement.

Reply to
JB

Beacon wrote: (lots of nonsense)

Yes, we have understood you are on drugs!

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Buy a bicycle and give the rest of the money to poor people who live off five dollars a day in countries less privileged than you. You'll grow up to be physically fitter, you'll be living by the principle of the hypocratic oath, and when you're older and buy a car with money you've actually earnt it will give you a lot more satisfaction.

But hey you are a yank, so I suspect doing the above would seem a pretty bizarre idea.

Reply to
Ric

Errata: I had the wrong prices for the Acura; the correct prices/specs are:

2004 Mercedes-Benz C240 Sedan 32,280.00 Brilliant Silver Metallic 670.00 Ash Leather 1,470.00 317 Comfort Package 1,280.00 324 Sunroof Package 1,640.00 COMAND System w/o cassette 2,170.00 39,510.00

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 33,995.00 Topaz Metallic Paint 595.00 Premium Package 875.00 Destination 665.00 Navigation (Denso) 7" Touch Screen w/Single DVD Disc for Entire US & Canada 2,200.00 38,330.00

2004 Acura TL 5-Speed Automatic with Navigation System Satin Silvr Metallic / Quartz Leather 34,650.00 Destination 545.00 Gold Emblems 75.00 35,270.00

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 30,805.00 Destination 545.00 Leather Trim Value Package with Additional Options 2,539.00 33,889.00

Reply to
Beacon

Just remember that it is much cheaper to lease your bimbos than to buy them. For some reason, leased bimbos seem to have a much higher residual value.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp

What's a hoopty?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

My first car was a pair of ChevroLEGS. But for your "situation" it seems a G35 would be a good fit.

Reply to
JQ

I'll give credit where credit's due. At least the 16 yr old (I'm assuming here as I don't know what the driving age is in NY) is asking for advice instead of plowing through with the most fancy looking, cute vehicle $40,000USD can buy.

Kudos to you. Now, hope you'll have the compassion for the less fortunate when you pass them with your top down in your spanking brand new luxury car.

Reply to
R Green - WoWsat.com