my red and green imobiliser keep flashing...

Has anyone had this problem before, i locked my Merc 250 diesel and when i returned i un-locked it , both by my key fob button , but instead of going from red to green and my indicators doing a double
flash and the bleeper going , the lights on my interior mirror and on my drivers door kept flashing together. Now my interior light came on and the doors un-locked okay but i didn`t want to open the door as i thought that would set the alarm off ( i was in a built up area ) , Eventually after 20 mins of pushing the key fob it went to green and i was able to enter my car but what a bit of bother. My Merc is late 96