Mysterious Dangling Connector

During my quest to get my cruise amp out, I can across a connector that looks like a small bulb goes in it (similar to the ones on the back of the climate control unit). Wondering where this thing goes. Is the headlamp
switch backlit? Based on the length of the wire attached to it, it has to connect somewhere on the left side of the steering column somewhere near the bottom of the dash.
Ugly truth about MB - on at least some models (eg 380SLs), the oxygen sensor warning light is set by the odometer, not by the sensor or ECU. Factory service manual directs you to replace the sensor, then remove the bulb. That empty socket may be what you are lookin at.
Mike - '82 380 SL - 162K 'Bird'
Great fix!