Mysterious Noise 1987 300E Right Front Area

I have a 1987 300E which has developed a mysterious noise in the right front wheel area. I have took it to two different Benz repair shop and both were unable to find the source of the noise.
A description of the noise is between a rattle and a thump it occurs when the right front wheel runs over a change in the road surface, i.e. pothole, crease in pavement, ridge in pavement.
I have had the tire and wheel checked, but was told there is nothing wrong with either one. Also, I had the entire front suspension checked.
I was told the steering drag link assembly and steering damper both needed to replaced; therefore, I had them both replaced and a four wheel alignment done.
As well, I had both front struts checked and both front wheeling bears. I was told both were about 50% worn, but did not need to be replaced.
But, the rattle/thump noise still occurs when the tire/wheel runs over pothole, crease in pavement or ridge in pavement or any other change in the road surface.
Has anyone else experienced this mysterious noise?
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 1990 300 E and haven't heard what you describe in yours, but the same thing happened to my Volvo. Replaced struts, etc. Still had the noise. We took off the wheel and looked at the brake pads. They had their tabs broken off and were sliding around in the caliper making noise. Even more when you go over a bump. It might be worth it to take a wheel off and inspect the brakes. You never know.
Thanks for the idea...
Sandjicpl wrote:

Two easy things to check:
- Upper strut mount. Open your hood and look at top of wheel well. It is a large rubber mount held by two bolts with the strut rod poking through. - Strut bump-stop. This a soft foam rubber bushing that sits on top of the strut but under the strut mount. Pull the front wheel and push up the rubber strut bellows. It looks kinda like a big marshmallow skewered on the strut rod.
Other than that there are few things that you did not mention being checked: balljoints, control arm bushings, idler arm bushings.
Scott D

Scott,
Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again, Bill Hollon
Scott D wrote:

You have a bad front sway bar bushing. After 16 years it's time to replace the old rubber ones with the new synthetic ones for about $5. P.

When was the last time you replaced the front sway bar bushings (soft rubber) with the new, updated synthetic ones sold at every dealer parts dept? Very innexpensive. P.

William,
I had an annoying rattle in the front end of my 1990 300E under the same road conditions you've described. The local MB mechanic replaced the front sway bar bushes and the problem ceased. Worth a thought?
John Syndey, Australia

hi i seem to have he same problem. my question to all is how is it when you drive? get an annoying vibrasion...feels like the car is shaking left to right around 60mph. im suspecting the castor bushings.
since i read this article, im curious. any thoughts?
Lushan