Mysterious W140 Trunk Window

I've noticed that W140s have what appears to be a small (maybe 1" x 1/2") window or sight glass in the silver cladding that runs along the lower edge of the trunk
lid between the tail- lights, just to the left of the trunk release button. What is that thing?
Geoff
--
"Mabye your too stupid" -- Dept.237980

Design gimmick with two integrated backup-lights ------------------------------------------------
Geoff Miller wrote:

Could it be the IR receiver window for the central locking remote control?
Frank

I'm not sure I understand.

Sounds plausible. Then again, why would it be on the rear of the car? In all the cars equipped with a central locking system remote control that I've seen, there had to have been a sensor on the side, since that was the direction from which I saw people unlocked the cars as they approached them. (Maybe it's customary for there to be three or four: one on each side, plus others on the front and the rear. Dunno.)
It so happens that when I walked across the company parking lot at the beginning of my lunchtime stroll this afternoon, I passed a parked W140. But as luck would have it, this one wasn't equipped with what- ever option the window is for. The hole was plugged with a piece of ribbed plastic to match the surroun- ding cladding.
The mystery continues...
Geoff
--
"Mabye your too stupid" -- Dept.237980

snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) haute in die Tasten:

My two IR remote controlled cars (made in France) had one central IR sensor located above the rear view mirror inside the car. This is not a very good solution, because you have to point inside the car to open it (it does not work from all ankles). From the W124 I know that it had at least three IR sensors, one in everey front door and one in the rear bonnet. If you come from behind, it is easy and safe to open your car.
Frank

It is a window into the soul of the W140 ! It is somewhat murky and cloudy appearing because ole Jerkin Shrimp realllllly wasn't sure he wanted just anyone being able to peer deep into the soul of the kar.
mcbrue soulfuly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
Geoff Miller wrote:

My mistake - sorry!
Is that what you mean? http://www.mbspy.com/w140rear.htm
Juergen
haute in die Tasten:

Speaking of strange doohickeys on the back of W140s, what are those little chrome bumps on the top of the fender back corners?
John M. geegaw-free '94 E320
haute in die Tasten:

I suppose I could have scrolled down and answered my own question. But who needs that many antennae? Diplomat? Police? Geek?
John M. '94 E320 with one antenna
The doohickeys are pop-up guides for back-in parking; they delineate/mark the rear fenders, since the trunk lid itself is generally hidden from the driver's view when backing into a parking spot. They raise when reversing, lower when parked.
haute in die Tasten:

little
who
Rugbyguy wrote:

Exactly.
BTW: There were two versions, this ones (car shown is from May 1993) and slightly longer ones. Later they were removed completely - then the little ultrasonic sensors integrated into the bumper were introduced.
Juergen
John Mauel wrote:

The left-fender antenna is a combined radio/telephone antenna and the other one is for radio communication.
Juergen - car with most antennas has three ;-) BTW: Newer MBs have not-visible antennas for radio and phone which makes life harder for vandals

Thanks. That answers that.
John M. '94 E320 doesn't have very good visibility out the back, either.
ive seen the antenna printed on rear windows

That's egg-ZACTLY what I was referring to.
The car in the photo appears to have a "blank" inserted into the hole like the car I mentioned seeing at lunch- time yesterday, though. Most cars I've seen have had a transparent window there.
(As an aside, why did you blur out the car's license plate number? The car is presumably driven on public roads, and that means that any number of complete strangers see the license number every day.)
Geoff
--
"Mabye your too stupid" -- Dept.237980

Geoff Miller wrote:

Cars with the _blank_ do not have remote locking - as is the case with the pictured very basic German-market 350SD - even tinted windows were not standard, not to speak of leather or air con...

I always do - mostly I change them, but here because of reasons of time it was simpler to blur it.

You are right - but sometimes people do not want their number plate on the web so in all cases I change/blur it, just to avoid any hassle.
Kind regards from Germany
Juergen

It is the IR receiver for remote unlocking of the car.
A.J