MYSTERY NOISE REAR OF CAR

I have a 1980 240d and I am trying to figure out a noise that is coming from the rear of the car. It happens after I have been on the highway for an hour
or so and sounds like a rubbing or minor grinding. When I stop for a few minutes I can proceed for another 50k or so and the noise comes back. Its like something is out of balance.
Help..

Is it worse with two adults in the back (halfshafts).
Wheel bearing?
--
Richard Sexton | MB, BMW parts: http://buyeuroparts.com

Could well be half shafts then. With the wheel off and car in the air you should be able to rotate in a large circle. You'llhear all sorts of awful noises and feel it click and stuff if the halfshafts bad.
They're not terribly pricy and not awful to replace.
--
Richard Sexton | MB, BMW parts: http://buyeuroparts.com
Checked the rear and there is a clicking noise on the drivers side. Any idea on the cost of the half shafts, is there a diagram available; do the halfshafts include the boots.

I don't remember. I know it wasn't too bad for a rebuilt halfshaft and labour wasn't too terrible at all either. Call 800 741 5252 and order one. Tell them I sent you. Ask for Gary.
--
OE,OEM MB, BMW, parts: http://buyeuroparts.com