Need engine for 97 E320

Does anyone have a few names and numbers for an engine for a 97 E320? Had an oil leak and the car overheated. Now the mechanic is telling me it is better
to replace the engine instaed of trying to rebuild the engine.
Any suggestions? Don't tell me I am screwed!
Thanx
why was the low engine oil warning ignored? Or was it a woman driving....

You ask for opinions but don't say what's wrong with the engine.
Does it run? Does it burn oil? Does it smoke on cold start? Does it have good power? Is the oil clean or contaminated with coolant? Is the coolant clean or contaminated with oil?
I agree with TG... diagnostic is needed rather than a simple $$$$ opinion to drain your pocket. Take it to another mechanic.
Your will probably save a lot of money if you can find a good engine at a wrecking yard that specializes in MB parts. Rebuilding MB engines with factory parts is truly expensive. Since your care is 8 years old it may not be worth buying a new engine or doing a complete rebuild. Check out the used market and see what's out there.
Mmm... so you are saying you would simply discard a car that is worth $12,000?

Insurance companies do it all the time!
Not me though heh.
Marty