Need help with dash removal on 73 450SL

I am in process of trying to fix a heater control problem on my 73 450SL. The mechanical flap inside the heater box that regulates/directs the drive's side
floor air/heat does not full close. Driving around with hot air blowing on your foot in the summer is not fun. I have the factory manual but interestingly enough it does not have any information on how to remove, repair or replace the heater box/system. I believe the dash board needs to be removed, which I am in the process of doing. The manual states you need to remove the inside rear-view mirror, and then the interior trim around the windshield. Can any of you give me advice on how to: 1) remove the rear-view mirror 2) remove the interior trim around the windshield The rest of the dash removal seem to be going well. I plan on re-using all these pieces so I would like to know a way to remove them in one without damaging them in any way. Please reply at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Thanks in advance for your help, -Kevin
Drop the under dash panels and see if the problem with flap's could be fixed without removing the dash board. My first thought on your problem, is a faulty heater valve.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in message

I agree, it sounds like it's at least more than a flap and may not be the flap at all. With a flap stuck or something wrong with the flap control system, you get air in the wrong places. However, that would never give you hot air when the system is set to cool.
Thanks for the reply.
I tried this first and it is not a heater valve. I definately have a mechanical issue inside the heater box.
Do you know how to get it out?
-Kevin