Need Juergen for M-B engine question

Hi Juergen,

I'm thinking of ordering a new E320, sometime in the next year or so but don't like its current 90 degree V-6 motor with a balance shaft.

I've read magazine reviewers' comments that the new S-Class cars will have new, smaller, more powerful engines. I'd like to know if the 3.2 L V-6 currently used in the E-Class will also be replaced.

Here in California the 3.2L CDI Diesel isn't being sold - yet; it might be in '06, so that's also a possibility.

Any information you might have will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Hi Tom,

no, I haven't overlooked or forgotten your questi> Hi Juergen,

With the S-Class gasoline engines will start with a 350 engine (as now), but then with 272 PS instead of the current 245 PS and it will have the 7-speed auto trans - for all the other V6 and V8 engines of the S-Class one can hear they also will get some power increases whilst at the same time fuel consumptions will decrease slightly and they will be 4-valve; I haven't heard anything about the engines being lighter in weight, so it may be true or not, I don't know. Some time later the engines will - one after the other - get direct injection and of course there will also be a hybrid S-Class later to upcoming laws in the US.

Unfortunately I haven't got any info on the E-Class and the 320 gas engine so I can not say anything regarding your main question - sorry for that!!!!

The 320 diesel of the S-Class will also be renewed,

218 PS (currently 204 PS), max. torque 510 Nm, 7-speed auto trans.

I clearly I point out all the above info is from non-official channels so of course I can take abolutely no guarantee whatsoever it is correct!

Presentation of the S-Class W221 will be at the

61st IAA in Frankfurt, Germany, which will start September 15th 2005.

As so often the MB CEO loudmouths didn't do a good job - so the 320 CDI must not be sold not only in California, but also not in Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont. The E320 CDI (and E200 CDI, E220 CDI, E270CDI and E400 CDI sold here in Europe) do NOT meet EURO 4 emmissons, but EURO 3 only.

That is why here in Europe an E280 CDI is available which meets the stricter EURO 4 - that is a de-tuned

320 CDI with the very same 3222 ccm displacement, particulate filer as standard, but 130 kw = 177 PS instead of the 150 kw = 204 PS (201 hp in the US) of the 320 CDI: I really, really can not understand why they chose the E320 CDI over the E280 CDI...

Question: What if someone from outside the above mentioned

5 states buys the car new and then sells it used to someone in - say - California? Will the buyer then be able to register it in California? And what if one is located in one of the other 45 states and then moves to one of these five states? Does one have to sell a E320 CDI then? Or can it then be registered in one of the five states?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .