Need Mechanic Recommendations

I am going to buy a MB 300CD or SD. Probably late 70's or 80's vintage. I live in Lake Isabella, CA and would appreciate recommendations for an independet mechanic/garage for diesel engine and general
repair/maintenance in the Bakersfield, Ridgecrest, Lancaster or Palmdale area.
Thanks in advance,
Don Foster (reddog)
The way I've always discovered good mechanics is to find one you think is good, then offer him an inexpensive fix, maybe something you could do yourself, and see how he performs. Not just on price, but how quick a turnaround, how clean the car is when returned, etc. etc. Sounds like a lot to do, but worth it if a big repair comes your way. Good mechs are like gold. Also, you can sometimes use the truck-stop analogy--if the parking lot has a lot of high end cars in it, porches, mercedes, and so forth, he may be worth checking out. Oh, one final thing...it never hurts to check the BBB. If people get burned for lots of cash, they tend to get irate and will complain loud and hard. I know I have in the years past.