Need to purchase new tires

I am driving a 1996 Mercedes E320. Can anyone tell me what is a good tire to purchase for this vehicle? I have noticed there a ton of tires however as anyone knows, you can spend little or alot. So I am trying to see what
is good at a good price.
Thanks
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:01:35 GMT, "Mark & Marci"

michelin energy mxv4 are one of the better tires on that car
I don't like the Michelin MXV4 Energy... It just lack traction of the summer performance tires. Actually all all-season tires are like this.
The traction is very apparent... like dress shoe to running sneaker. So much difference.
My suggestion is this... if you do live in snow area... Go for the separate sets of tires for winter and that 3-seasons... It is well worth it for maximum traction all the time.
If you are pretty adamant about all season tires, then my only choice would be Nokian NRW. At least you get a very good snow performance.
If you don't live in snow area, forget about all-season tires... go for performance tires. Bridgestone RE750 would be my choice.

I agree. I put Michelin MXVs on my 300SD and the rear wheels would spin very easily on wet pavement. I had chosen these because at the time, that's what Mercedes was using on new cars. I replaced them with Pirelli P4000's and they have been a great all around tire for here in NJ.
Go with the Michelins. They have a great safety factor. The MXV series is not a racing series, however. But if you don't race, go for the Michelins.
mcbrue tyredly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
McBrue, I don't understand... why any MB owner would want to put dress shoes on their cars... you spent $70,000 for a car and put on mediocre tires... just doesn't make sense.

I had the MXV4 in my older 3-Series BMW as OEM equipment.
They were poor tires overall. The only good things about them were durability and a soft quiet ride. Otherwise traction was marginal and road feel poor. They were poor in cold, wet weather (and dangerous on snow and ice).
IMO, best to get separate Summer and Winter wheels (dedicated seasonal tires mounted and road-force balanced on each set).
Michael
I'm also need tires but want them to last more than 12,000-15,000 miles. I also want them have good ride comfort, and good wear; high performance is not necessary. I have had the Kumho Ecsta ASX tire recommended to me. Any thoughts?

Forget Kumho... quality control is not good... You get what you pay for is the key. If you want summer performance tires, then go for Bridgestone RE750... you will get 45,000 miles max out of these set...
The key is the treadwear rating...for every 100, it is 15,000 max.
Now, if you go racetrack, forget it... it is out the window on treadwear ratings.

I also tried the older Kumho ECSTA about 3 years ago and my experiences with them were not good.
They were smooth and quiet for a few weeks but quickly became unbalanced and harsh. The tire shop could not re-balance them because they tread was so uneven in road resistance. They had to be returned after 2 months of use. It was apparently a quality control problem and the Kumho factory rep was candid and very reasonable. However, as the problem had caused me so much grief I did not try to see if a proper set would work for me.
Big performance tires with low profiles and wide treads are apparently a nightmare for quality control both because of the size of the rubber as well as the sensitive suspensions that they tend to get used on. That may be one reason why such tire sizes command huge differences in prices over identical tires of smaller dimensions.
Michael
Bridgestone makes the best tyres in the world. How Continental still exists is a real mystery to me,