Never Without A Warranty?

My family's history with Mercedes has not been good. My brother has a 2001 and 2003 ML320. My dad had a 2004 ML320. All three had major issues. The
2001 had that oil leaking problem. Every two weeks my brother had to put another quart in. The 2003 has a bad differential, and transmission. Both within one year of the warranty expiring. Dad's 2004 - differential. One service manager at a BMW dealer said "Never own a German car without a warranty." Having said that, my question is, what are current Mercedes like in terms of reliability? I know all about their warranties. A warranty won't help me if I have to be somewhere, and the vehicle won't get out of Park - which is what happened to my brother and father's ML. It was like the comedy of errors. My Acura is older than dirt. Its time for me to start looking and I'm wondering if I should consider Mercedes. I'm in the USA, by the way; so I'm referring to the MLs available in North America. Just in case there are different versions for different parts of the world.
You have had tough luck.
Your ML (and all of them barring a small batch) were/are built in the USA, and the first generation -- incl yours, I think -- were beset with problems.
Other models built outside Germany also had issues.
Merc's top management conceded the problems, from what I recall and, as far as I know, these have all been overcome.
I was fortunate with my models (1993 190 and 2001 CLK Cab) not have these inherent problems.
In other words, you may still safely consider Merc in future.
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
"DAS" wrote in message
You have had tough luck.
Your ML (and all of them barring a small batch) were/are built in the USA, and the first generation -- incl yours, I think -- were beset with problems.
Other models built outside Germany also had issues.
Merc's top management conceded the problems, from what I recall and, as far as I know, these have all been overcome.
I was fortunate with my models (1993 190 and 2001 CLK Cab) not have these inherent problems.
In other words, you may still safely consider Merc in future.
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
Not much. Only about 48 000 miles. In recent years I hardly use it/drive much...
I used to discuss the tech problems, many highlighted in this group when it was much more active, with my local MB workshop, and they would talk about them frankly. E.g. they criticised the 1st-generation A Class, one of the Cs...but, like I said, they also pointed out out the issues were addressed.
Maybe top management got too diverted by their non-vehicle adventures.
This article goes into the quality problems but does not mention the 'sister' companies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz
However, this 1986 article does report on an inglorious chapter:
"In a 12-month buying spree that ended earlier this year, the company acquired three large industrial conglomerates that make a bewildering range of products from airplanes to home appliances."
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1986/10/27/68207/index.htm
DAS
--
"DAS" wrote in message
[...]
Personally I would have no hesitation in buying another Merc-- plus I like the upright star on the bonnet (hood), sadly disappearing from many models.
However, only you can decide which car appeals to in appearance and 'driveability'.
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'