New 1984 300SD

Hehe, I'm going to guess you weren't useing the BMW service manual stuff that pertains to the E39 5 series? I find the BMW stuff for the E39 to take much more user knowledge for granted. They put all the stuff on the sam CD set now btw, and interestingly while the real deal CD set costs about $700 the bootlegs cost no more than the MB bootlegs.

Reply to
marlinspike

You're absolutely right Marlinspike. I talked to the people At M-B of North America in New Jersey this a.m. and that's what I was told......they just scanned the old, reliable, service manuals and put them all on CD. The 240D,

300D, etc., sells for $99 for the whole set which is, I believe, 5 printed manuals. I have all but the electrical manual and would sure like to have one. The problem with scanning halftone pictures is that you are scanning photos printed, at best, on a 133-line-screen basis. What this means if you count the number of dots per inch you will come up with 133 of 'em, both vertically and horizontally . In order to achieve a picture resolution you either increase or decrease the size of the dots. Smaller dots, lighter areas. Larger dots, darker areas. When you try to scan a halftone print with a scanner, even at very high resolution, you get pretty crappy results. I've even tried scanning at 6,000 dpi and I still get scans with heavy lines running through them. Don't know if there is a simple way to correct this but I've tried just about everything I know (which isn't always enough) and still make it work right. Anyone know the answer?
Reply to
Ernie Sparks

The best way is to rescan the original photos of course... Programs like Photoshop also have a "descreen" option that attempt to help this.

Unfortunately the people that made the MB manuals on CD did neither, so all photos look really sucky (technical term).

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

No, mine was an old 1978 320i. Came with the car too! Man it was sweet.

My official MB service CD for the 190e cost $35.00 on ebay. It's certainly better then nothing, but not by very much.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

You would be violating copyright law to do this...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

And.....your point is.......

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

You would be a criminal. So you should prepare yourself for your legal defense.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

OOOOOOO i am scared

the case, minus a few cans!