New 3.0L V-6 Diesel Fall '06 in 45 states

Apparently the super clean "BlueTec" (urea injection) 50 state diesel will be available in Fall '08; meanwhile, a 45 state (soot trap version)
will be sold starting Fall '06. This motor makes 224 HP @ 3,800 rpm and 376 ft lbs of torque at 1,600 rpm. Torque matches a big, 5.0L V-8!
My understanding is that BlueTec motors hasn't been approved for sale by EPA and CARB due to one technicality. BlueTec requires separate filling of urea solution. EPA and CARB aren't sure if the owners will faithfully do every time BlueTec tank is empty. They want assurance from Mercedes-Benz that it has devised the scheme to force the owners to look after the BlueTec tank, i.e. LOUD BLARING sound, motors detuned enormously, SWAT team ascending from the black helicopter and holding the owners at gunpoint, etc.
T.G. Lambach wrote:

T.G. Lambach wrote:

Different approach by Lexus: http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend/20060329-112856-9387r.htm
Fer'sure, I'd much rather be maintaining a diesel engine than a hybrid one!
WS
--
change to leews to mail

Diesel engine always get the rated fuel mileage... Consumer reports has shown that regardless of what manufacturers said... the figure is off... some as much as 50% off...
Hybrids in real world gets lower than those rate but still much better than average...
In diesel world... it said we will get this... we always got that regardless of the age... diesel is the way to go.
Tiger wrote:

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of what repairs would be required as the vehicle ages.
As they described it, it seems much more complicated than the Prius.
Regards, WS
--
change to leews to mail

To me this diesel seems much MORE complex than the V-6 gas engine. It's nothing for a DIY owner - too complicated. Add the '08 MY urea injection and one has a very efficient but high tech machine. May make sense for a high mileage driver who can write off the car in four years but for modest use (like mine) the gas motor may be the better choice.