"New" 300D

I just bought a 1983 300D and I'm completely charmed by it, but have a couple of questions, if for no other reason than that the car was built in Germany for use in Europe and the
owners manual is entirely in German.
What do I need to know about the little idle knob on the dash to the left of the steering wheel?
Is there a separate switch somewhere for the yellow driving lamps?
Will I ever get the turn signals to work?
I've been in and under cars for years but I've never owned a Mercedes or a diesel and I must admit I'm a little out of my element. Translating the manual a phrase at a time on the web is pretty tedious, and I'd be interested in communicating with the owners of similar cars--hopefully in English!
-- Barye

That is your idle increase knob. Turn it to raise the idle when you 1st start the engine cold.

Turn the headlamps on, then pull the knob out 1 click.

Try turning your emergency flashers on and off a few times. Then try the turn signals.

I do not believe he is has a USA car because we do not have the idle increase knobs after 1980. The idle increase became part of the injection pump in 1981.

1. What do I need to know about the little idle knob on the dash to the left of the steering wheel?
That's your manual choke.
2. Is there a separate switch somewhere for the yellow driving lamps?
The fog lamps are lit by first turning on the headlightS and then pulling on the dial
3. Will I ever get the turn signals to work?
The blinkers are controlled by the hazard flasher on the center console. This is removed by gently prying it out. (I used a butter knife). And you'll choke when you find out the cost of this little gizmo.
Toblin

Talk to striplin at mbz.org, he'll sell you a good used working one cheap.
--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org
I believe the knob is the idle speed adjustment.