New CLK coupe

Hi all, my first post here.

I am considering my new car I will be getting within a year now. One of the choices I have is the newish CLK coupe, but am wondering about those two seats in the back. Can you use the centre seat as a third seat at all? Can you put a child car seat there instead?

Chris

Reply to
Chris, Jen and Pip

New and outgoing CLK Coupé models are four-seaters. No middle seatbelt in the back.

For what it's worth, I have the CLK Cab with one child-seat fitted in the back. Not the most spacious car in the world but still works quite well unless your front passenger has very long legs. (Well, same problem without child-seat -- I am not sure four six-footers would fit in comfortably for a long journey.)

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Just to back up Dori, I'm eyeing the CLK cabriolet and I sat in one today at the dealer, front seats and back. I'm 6'2", and I adjusted the front seat for comfort, then sat in the back. My knees were touching the back of the front seat, and my hair was just touching the roof liner. It's still on my "covet list."

-Steve Makohin | Reply to snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)

Reply to
Steve Makohin

So it should be!

I reckon it's the best combo space/money and no unwanted vibes or scuttle at speed. To get a bigger cabrio you probably have to go to Bentley at four times the price. :-)

Catch the old W208 and you still get the 'vertical' star on the bonnet (hood).

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

...PS. And it looks SO much nicer than a BMW 3 cab, especially with the roof up... ;-)

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I'm a BIG BMW fan. Almost as much as a rabid Macintosh fanatic. I have a 1997 BMW 328 cab, a '98 BMW Z3 2.8, and a 2000 BMW R1100S motorcycle. Yeah, I like 'em. Lots! The CLK cabriolet's looks are head and shoulders above the current generation BMW 3 series, inside and out. It just comes across as a more luxurious, better styled automobile. The even bigger delta can be seen when comparing the CLK to BWM's _new_ styling, as seen in their current 7 series, the newly released 5, the soon to be released 6, and eventually the 3. It's a shame that BMW has lost its styling sensibility, but a good thing that at least MB has retained it.

In terms of pure numbers, the CLK and BMW 3 are well matched in performance, even when comparing the BMW M3 versus the MB CLK55 AMG. The down side is that MB is more pricey, and not available with a standard transmission nor with a six speed (like the M3 is). I don't suppose that's an issue with MB's more mature and more affluent clientelle.

-Steve Makohin | Reply to snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)

Reply to
Steve Makohin

Yes, I see your posts in the BMW group, which is why I added the PS (post script and horsepower...)...

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

PS. Another PS. Of course I am well aware of the agitation that the BMW style direction is causing among BMW newsgroup fans.

In the case of Merc I can only say things are getting better and better almost everywhere. I thought the outgoing E-Class a little bland, but the new one is really nice IMO; same applies to C-Class. For me the 'big' issue is the disappearance of the stand-up star on the new CLK, making the view out of the windscreen the same as any other car... ;-)

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling