New Diesel

Does anyone have information about the new diesel engine Mercedes is introducing this Fall? I also understand a new clean burning diesel fuel will be mandatory in the U.S. in Sept.

Reply to
Bob Smith

Announced last month at NY Auto Show - E Class with 3.0L 24 valve V-6 to be available in October after new low sulfur diesel is available. Engine uses a soot trap or catalyst and Blu Tec (urea injection) eliminates NOx emissions.

This engine is currently sold in the UK and makes about 33% better mileage there than the 3.5L V-6 gas motor in the E350 model.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Have a look at:

John M.

Reply to
John Mauel

Welcome to the new (diesel) world!

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

A couple of odd statements on the website:

"...few options allow drivers to maintain the spaciousness and drive quality found in traditional gasoline-powered automobiles."

What has spaciousness to do with petrol power?

E.g. the E-Class and its predecessor has been available with a diesel engine forever.

"To appease the American public and their affinity for larger vehicles, the Mercedes M-Class and R-Class are both scheduled to received diesel powerplants this fall."

The M has had diesel engines all along AFAIK. Maybe not in the US??? In fact, in Europe most 'off-roaders' are sold with diesel engines AFAIK.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

for more than 15 years or so the only MB diesel car in the US were e classes

Reply to
jdoe

I suspect it's a roundabout way of pointing out that there aren't many diesel powered luxury cars.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

This has, for years, been a source of frustration for me. Even before the recent run-up in fuel prices, I have thought that the ideal vehicle for my work would be a smallish, cave-man simple, no-frills, 4x4 pick-up or SUV with a smallish (2-3 litre or so) diesel. Thick on the ground in Europe, but (except for the too-small Jeep Liberty) North American (read American) diesels are limited to only the largest, heaviest (and most expensive) of trucks, and even then, are nearly $10,000 more expensive than the gasoline powered equivalents. Ford Rangers way back in the early 80's were available with a tiny diesel, and Volkswagen imported a Rabbit-based pick-up type contraption with a diesel. (I think they sold about 15 of them.) I am hoping that, with gasoline at $1.10 a litre, (please, no protests from the over-taxed Europeans :-)) a manufacturer will see this unexploited market niche sometime before I retire.

John M. uses his '94 E320 strictly for pleasure, driving in the sun, without a care.

Reply to
John Mauel

Not true. There was a w140 diesel

1992-1993 300SD 1994-1998 S350

cp

Reply to
cp

So...the diesel S-class reverted to the 3-litre engine after the "rodbender" fiasco of the W126 350SDL, and then returned to the 3.5 once again after that?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

No, this is how it was;

10.1991 - 06.1993 300SD (the 3.5 motor) 06.1993 - 08.1996 S350TD (still the 3.5 motor) 06.1996 - 08.1998 S300TD (the better 3.0 motor)

Taken from

br, syljua

Reply to
Øyvind S

Do not forget the 4 liter V8 CDI we have here in Europe.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula