New Diesel

Does anyone have information about the new diesel engine Mercedes is introducing this Fall? I also understand a new clean burning diesel fuel will be mandatory in the U.S. in Sept.

Announced last month at NY Auto Show - E Class with 3.0L 24 valve V-6 to be available in October after new low sulfur diesel is available. Engine uses a soot trap or catalyst and Blu Tec (urea injection) eliminates NOx emissions.
This engine is currently sold in the UK and makes about 33% better mileage there than the 3.5L V-6 gas motor in the E350 model.
Welcome to the new (diesel) world!
DAS
"T.G. Lambach" < snipped-for-privacy@NoSpamcomcastOrHam.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Have a look at: http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Apr06/28ALookAtMBUSADieselLineup.html
John M.
A couple of odd statements on the website:
"...few options allow drivers to maintain the spaciousness and drive quality found in traditional gasoline-powered automobiles."
What has spaciousness to do with petrol power?
E.g. the E-Class and its predecessor has been available with a diesel engine forever.
"To appease the American public and their affinity for larger vehicles, the Mercedes M-Class and R-Class are both scheduled to received diesel powerplants this fall."
The M has had diesel engines all along AFAIK. Maybe not in the US??? In fact, in Europe most 'off-roaders' are sold with diesel engines AFAIK.
DAS
"John Mauel" < snipped-for-privacy@SPAMtelusplanet.net> wrote in message
On Thu, 4 May 2006 13:43:47 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

for more than 15 years or so the only MB diesel car in the US were e classes

Not true. There was a w140 diesel
1992-1993 300SD 1994-1998 S350
cp

So...the diesel S-class reverted to the 3-litre engine after the "rodbender" fiasco of the W126 350SDL, and then returned to the 3.5 once again after that?
Geoff
--
"Cherry blossoms fall
Ken finds a woman with a
Geoff Miller wrote:

No, this is how it was;
10.1991 - 06.1993 300SD (the 3.5 motor) 06.1993 - 08.1996 S350TD (still the 3.5 motor) 06.1996 - 08.1998 S300TD (the better 3.0 motor)
Taken from http://www.mb-w140.de /
br, syljua
Geoff Miller wrote:

Do not forget the 4 liter V8 CDI we have here in Europe.
Reg: Harri

I suspect it's a roundabout way of pointing out that there aren't many diesel powered luxury cars.

This has, for years, been a source of frustration for me. Even before the recent run-up in fuel prices, I have thought that the ideal vehicle for my work would be a smallish, cave-man simple, no-frills, 4x4 pick-up or SUV with a smallish (2-3 litre or so) diesel. Thick on the ground in Europe, but (except for the too-small Jeep Liberty) North American (read American) diesels are limited to only the largest, heaviest (and most expensive) of trucks, and even then, are nearly $10,000 more expensive than the gasoline powered equivalents. Ford Rangers way back in the early 80's were available with a tiny diesel, and Volkswagen imported a Rabbit-based pick-up type contraption with a diesel. (I think they sold about 15 of them.) I am hoping that, with gasoline at $1.10 a litre, (please, no protests from the over-taxed Europeans :-)) a manufacturer will see this unexploited market niche sometime before I retire.
John M. uses his '94 E320 strictly for pleasure, driving in the sun, without a care.