new mercedes owner questions

On Saturday I bought a 95 C280 with 63K miles and a complete service history. The car is in excellent condition, although it needs floor mats and a good
detailing. For 9K, I thought it was a good deal.
Opinions seem to differ on this particular model (some consider good, since it is used as a taxi in europe, albeit with a 4cyl engine, others view it as an abomination) but I would love to hear the experiences of this newsgroup's subscribers.
I have a couple of questions relating to parts:
1. The car has only one key. Do I need to get duplicates from an MB dealer? 2. The car is missing its jack. Where might I get one of these?, and lastly 3 I want a set of black floor mats (the car is silver with grex tex). What is a good source for these?
TIA
*Criblecoblis1 wrote:

The C-class is very rarely used as taxis in Europe, its to small. The E-class is the taxi-MB.

I dont know what was delivered as standard in the US but if your key is non-electronic then you can get a copy anywhere, else... go to MB.

Oh, dont bother with getting an original MB-jack, they are really bad.
--
Thomas

Yep, a new key can be purchased from Mercedes Benz, they just require you show registration papers to prove it is your vehicle. Upon order the keys are shipped from MB in Germany.
Check Ebay for a factory MB jack.
Also, most ALL taxis in europe of Diesel not gas. and the pervious post was correct they are usually E-Class, but in France I DID see some of the newer generation C-class used as taxis.
...and, what's more, it's the 200D or 220D engines that are generally used in taxis, not a thirsty 2.8 l (or thereabouts) petrol engine.
DAS
A mechanic friend told me that the c class (in its 94-2001 incarnation) 4 cyl gas is used as a taxi.
I like the car a great deal. I hope I made a wise purchase.

Almost any car is used as a taxi but we are talking of widespread use in Germany, CH etc, and petrol-engined cars are not that common, especially not with a Mercedes. What's the point? The diesel engine is ideally suited for high-mileage city driving.
DAS
the point is that cars used as taxis are generally reliable. That makes them a good bet as a used car.
We never had a c class diesel in the US, and don't have any MB diesels now. Nex year VW and MB are introducing new models, but they won't be available in many states because of emissions requirements.

For $9000, that is pretty cheap... but buyer beware though as I did buy one for what I thought was pretty cheap, but ended up paying a fortune on stupid maintenance as it had one problem after another... even what amount to be small problems in other brands such as Toyotas or Hondas can amount to $$$$$$$.
My first minor maintenance was to change front brake pads and some fuse and it cost me $600CDN... that was at the dealers... damn thieves.
--
R Green
Tech Support

On 19 Jan 2004 12:44:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Criblecoblis1) wrote:

If I may suggest these popular Mercedes web sites:
Big and popular site (good for searching for info):
www.mbworld.org
Smaller, more personal (more C-Classes):
www.bnzsport.com
And just for your car, very personal (C-Class is AKA model: W202)
www.club202.com
One every site, people are very friendly, and will be happy to answer your questions.