New Mercedes Radio in 1983 300D

I have been considering upgrading the radio in my 1983 300D. I would like something that looks decent in the dash and matches the rest of the car -
unfortunately there are few new radios that have the amber backlighting like Mercedes uses. Does anyone know if it would be difficult to install a used 1999+ E class radio into a 1983 300D? Do the 1999+ radios have internal or external amplification? I would also be interested in installing a used Mercedes or Alpine changer as well. I think these radios use fiber optic. Would there me any major complications pulling this off? I assume I would need the radio, changer, wiring harness and fiber optic cable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Jeff

That job will cost you alot more than just to have a Best Buy or Circuit City store put one new pretty good headunit in for you free.
If you really want amber lighting... check Clarion or Alpine.
I would be willing to pay a little more for it, and I feel I could install it myself if the hardware could be obtained used at a reasonable price. I currently have some Alpine equipment (CDA-7949) with a fiber optic changer and DSP, but I really don't want to have to put the whole system in the 300D.
--
Jeff

"Tiger" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
That's the problem... no one sells the MB radio of the latest generation cheap... and getting a fiber optic cable for the MB system is hard too. unless they use standard hookup.
Try contacting the folks at La Jolla Audio ... they are MB radio experts. Do a web search, the contact info should pop up.
JD