New Owner of an MB

Hello Everyone, In a move nobody ever thought I would make, I traded my beloved and faithful Eclipse GT for a 2003 C230 Kompressor. It was an extraordinary deal, very low mileage, pristine condition, fully optioned beauty. For the first time I actually had a car gone over by my mechanic and he told me after a 3 hour exam that the car was great. OK, now I own it and its driving me nuts. Aside from not being able to check the oil without going through a series of hoops through the display and the complete lack of any kind of noise (i.e. the engine is silent), I'm really beginning to enjoy this little rocket, even if it is an automatic. I have truly been surprised by the friendly, helpful attitude at my local dealership. I have been in there a couple times already for a part I needed and help in figuring out the electronics. They have gone a long way in dispelling the common opinion that MB people are stuck up and rude. The got me the missing package tray for the rear in 2 days at a reasonable cost, spent time with me going over functions and features ( for free, I might add) and even gave me an MB C-Klasse hat telling me I could no longer be wearing my Mitsu Ralliart Racing hat in the Benz. It was a really nice experience. What I'd like to know is, are there any tips, hints, tricks, etc, that I should know about owning and driving this little beauty?? Go ahead, have your fun with me but, seriously, if anyone has info on things to watch out for, things to do, I would really appreciate it. The first thing I've done is take the tires off and replace them with a set of Yokohama Avid V4S

225/50/16. I love the tires, they're my 4th set on my cars and they wear like iron, stick like there is no tomorrow and are smooth and quiet. Anything else I should do? Thanks in advance.

Kestrel

Reply to
Kestrel

Relax and enjoy it.

My own local Merc garage in west London -- not directly attached to any dealership showroom -- gives me similar service

They did tell me recently, however, that older C- Class cars have reliability issues, but yours is probably new enough to not have them.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

SNIP 8<

If the dealer is as you describe, then do anything it takes to keep on his good side!!! On our side of the pond we call them Stealers rather than Dealers.

Reply to
Stratman

Let us all the know the name of the dealer. They deserve the recognition. Congrats on your purchase, sounds like a great Benz!

Reply to
robrjt

I've had nothing but pleasant dealings with my local dealer. I think they get a kick out of this bleached-blonde video game developer feeding his 30-year old wagon vegetable oil. :)

I haven't gotten the free hat yet, though!

(Hoehn Mercedes in Carlsbad California, 'bout an hour north of San Diego. I do get a kick out of the salespeople though, as soon as I pull up in the old girl they're asking me if I'm looking for something new. "Not 'til the CDIs make their way into California!")

Which reminds me of what I'm really looking for. A super- or turbocharged diesel all-wheel drive version of the CLK that I saw down there today...

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

There's a 320 CDI Cabrio on the Germany website, but not, disappointingly, on the UK one.

In left sidebar hit 2nd from bottom "Modelle & technische Daten".

Do you do enough miles to justify diesel?

However, there is a hard-top CLK with a diesel engine on the UK website:

320 CDI (224 hp) and 220 CDI (150 hp). Of course loads more torque than vaguely similar petrol engines.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Mmm.

Dunno. I'm getting far in excess of 100 miles to the gallon of petroleum now (less than 2l per 100km), though, what with the vegetable oil and all... Those 15g/60l of petroleum were one oil change and one fill of the tank at the dinopump to run through some Marvel Mystery Oil.

Still waiting for these things to show up here. ;)

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket