New S550 in stock at Dealers

Page 1 of 2
I went to my local MB dealer, Rusnak in Arcadia, CA and they had 4 base model S550s available. There wasn't any waiting list because I could have taken one of them--if only my 2005 S430 lease wasn't underwater. :-( They
had two Alabaster White and two Iridium Silver cars. The only add on was US$500 for Sirius Satellite radio. There was also a US$10,000 market adjustment but I was led to believe that this could have been negotiable.
I would have expected that all these cars would have been accounted for from waiting list orders. Maybe sales aren't as brisk as MB would want them to be. Also, there was a 2005 Maybach 62 in the dealer showroom. Why would an old Maybach still be sitting there? Did someone order it and default on payment? Maybe MB & Maybach sales are really hurting that's why they were willing to talk to me.
By the way, there was no trunk closing handle. Am I supposed to leave my handprint on the trunk lid when I close it? How crude!
Oh, I wish I could have driven home with the new S550 and be the first one on the block to have it. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.
Ricky
Press the button and the trunk closes.

button or not, you are kidding .... right?
No.

I didn't see any remote closing buttons. I looked in the area by the latch. Also, I didn't like the way the trunk is opened. There's a latch that you pull to open the trunk, unlike my 05 S430 that has a button by the license plate lights which pop open the trunk (as long as your keep your face away from the trunk lid or your face will be bashed in by the trunk lid).

In the '06 S500, the button is red, and on the right hand side of the underneath, forward portion of the trunk lid. Yes, one DOES need to get their face out of the way, as the lid drops the first 1/3 pretty quickly.
To the OP - Phoenix also has several '07 S550s, including black. Didn't see any Maybachs on my last trip, however, but did spot an SLR.
Hunt

says...

Hi, not exactly on the original topic but still about the remote trunk lid closing feature: does it control both opening and closing the lid or is opening arranged by the standard spring operated system and closing separately with this remote trunk lid closing system?
What I'm specifically wondering is how does the remote closing system survive from winter when the lid may sometimes get frozen and should not be opened by force. Should be fine if opening was spring operated, then you can manually open the trunk with appropriate force, or leave it closed if too badly frozen. Perhaps there is sufficient force limiting even if opening was not similar to that with the standard spring operated system.
In case the systems are different in different models, I'm specifically interested about the W221.

I cannot answer your question. In AZ/USA, we do not get many freezes, so I have never had a chance to try it out in colder weather.
The other part is fairly easy. The opening of the trunk, remotely, is managed by a switch on the driver's door, or by depressing a button on the exposed underside of the trunk lid. The auto-closure button is not accessible, when the trunk lid is closed - only when it is open. As another poster noted, you need to learn to keep your nose out of the locus of the trunk lid, as it closes. The trunk lid is brought down to near closure, and then it "snuggles" down to a "latched" position. This similar to the door on the S, in that they only need to be partially closed, and they will latch themselves. Unfortunately, I have gotten a bit lazy and find that I do not completely close the door on my Landcruiser. Note: it does NOT have the auto-latch feature, and I must then open, and re-close to secure them.
Hunt

"I would have expected that all these cars would have been accounted for from waiting list orders."
Dealers put cars on order too - that's why there's a waiting list!
"Maybe sales aren't as brisk as MB would want them to be. Maybe MB & Maybach sales are really hurting that's why they were willing to talk to me."
Who else was there for them to talk to? That's their job!
Everyone's a prospect.
RickyE wrote:

That's interesting because here in Coeur d'Alene, ID we are getting in a lot of CA cars and cheap. I just purchased a 2002 E 320 for $20,000 preowned by the CA DMV in La Jolla.
I had to laugh at your comment because I had a simliar experence and complained to the service manager about the trunk lid not closing...adjusted too tight. He came out and closed it with no problem. Then I saw the problem, to avoid getting my fingerprints on the paint I was slightly depressing the button that evidently caused the problem. I've had that habit because with all my Porsche's I would always be careful and either press on the badge on the hood, etc. on the engine compartment lid. ;-)
I finally gave up and put my hand on the top of the trunk and no longer have the problem. But I polish the trunk more often now. :-P

They have funny habits.
In winter the hood of my 300SD is hard to close. One side won't latch and it just bounces back up. Oh, it has to be frozen, squirt squirt squirt with alcohol, spritz spritz sprits with low temperature silicone grease. Nothing. Farg.
Know what happens if the hood flies open at speed? The windshield evaporates, very quickly. You're blind and very cold and then you die in a horrible ball of flames. Or something like that. It happened to a guy I know and well ok, he didn't do any worse that lose a windshield but he was 100 miles from home, in winter, an an otherwise real nice and new (to him) 300TD. I don't want to mention any names but his initials are BILL REIMELS. Ha ha Bill you're such a dork. Anyway...
This plauged me all winter. And last winter. And the winter before. But only in winter. I've cleaned itm, lubricated it I've you-named it. Nothing seems to help; inevitably I end up slamming the mofo a dozen times until it FINALLY latches.
Today I hit upon the answer totallyby accident. Put your hands on the front of the hood and push slightly back while pushing down. The bugger closes every time first time now.
I'm SURE it's in the owners manual I don't have. Or not. But I'm happy it works,
Now I have closure on this issue. Ha ha ha ha. I slay myself.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Hey, you just hit on a point I've had trouble with, hood closure. The driver's side on my 2002 E 320 has the same malady. Generally all I do is open the hood, curse a bit, and SLAM it closed. But I'll try your trick and maybe I can clean up my language and not be so rough on the car. I have the owner's manual and will do a look-see.
--
Slapping your forehead can be fatal if you forget you have a hammer in
your hand. ;-)

[...]
I saw one last night "in the wild" on the freeway on my way home. It was two lanes over, so I didn't get a good look at it, but my first impression was that it was an attractive car. The color looked to be "Pewter metallic."
In AZ, it typically takes a week or two to get your tags in the mail, so new cars are usually driven with temporary plates until the tags arrive. This car already had its permanent plates, so it was at least a week or two old.
--Paul ** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
I test drove both a new S550 and a CLS500. I liked the CLS500 better and traded it in on my 2002 S500. I also thought the CLS500 was a better value as well. It's a V-8, has a 7 speed tranny, has a huge trunk and looks great. It's a real head turner everywhere. Three weeks old and 600 miles it's just great.
DaFlaBear wrote:

The V-8 engine used in the CLS is on the way out. Development of the current production CLS engine/transmission combination has been halted. By 3,000 miles nearly all of the new 7-speed transmissions develop persistent and dramatic shift problems. Many fail outright. Technical solutions of one degree or another have been released for all lines except CLS. Germany refuses to spend the money to provide a solution for CLS because of the drive train development halt.
This week MBUSA promoted their chief warranty auditor. Mr. Dirtl now has unchallenged and total control of the entire aftersales effort in the US. That means that MB pays the same guy to provide "world class" service to MB owners and simultaneously reject warranty claims. BTW, he was promoted by the guy who decided not to spend the money to solve the CLS transmission shift issue. Best of luck.
Rob, My CLS500 was built in January 06. It seems they have gotten the kinks out as my shifting is very concise and smooth at 681 miles now. Only complaint is that local gas mileage is pretty bad at around 14 mpg. I am getting the published 22 or 23 on the turnpike though.

Whats an S550? We get S55's (AMG) here in the UK The dealer I use supplies a lot of them to consulates and they have a good supply of them as recent used, returned from those contract hires (same price as a new C class). I have often been tempted.
What is the difference between an S55 and an S550?
S550 is just the new model # for the old S500.
" Tomorrow is promised to no one".... Walter Payton, 10/7/84.

Thanks, I will keep an eye open. So far its still S500's that are for sale here.