New Tires: Back or Front?

I bought two new Michelin tires for my '94 E320 Wagon today, as one of the back tires went flat last night and was found to be unfixable. (The older tires are a different brand, so I decided to save the other back tire for a spare.) My Mercedes mechanic said Mercedes recommends that new tires be placed on the front end, for better handling and safety. That's what I requested from the tire service, and, of course, to have the front tires moved to the back.

When I picked up the car, the new Michelins were on the back. I asked about that and was told that the tire manufacturers recommend it that way for better handling and safety.

So now I wonder: why would Mercedes and Michelin have different recommendations? Any thoughts?

~Des

Reply to
Des

Note that the recomendations are consistent if one allows for front wheel vs rear wheel drive

cheers

ps I put my two new tires on the rear

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Hi,

I doubt this recommendation to put new tires on front actually comes from Mercedes. Must be a personal opinion.

I guess you can find recommendations both ways but my personal view is strongly suggesting "better tires to the back". I too had recently two tires changed and specifically asked if my Michelin dealer if he agreed that the new tires should go to the back, and he certainly did agree.

This is actually good for an MB because the rear tires normally wear more, after a while you can change the better tires from the front to the back which allows even ware. But this is not the real argument to use better tires at the back.

The reason to put better tires to the back is that this setup allows better car handling! I guess people assume that car handling comes from front tire grip, as long as your front tires have grip, you can handle the car but this is not that simple. If the front loses grip, the car tends to go straight, which is not always good but most often, you should always have a bit of time to allow front grip reappear. But if you lose rear grip, the car may quickly turn without a chance to compensate for that by turning front wheels.

Losing grip on back tires can be from water on the road (especially on worn roads) or ice and snow. To be able to handle the car with your steering wheel, you do need some grip at the back, otherwise it doesn't work.

Reply to
Name

Meanwhile had a look at the W221 S-class owners manual (unfortunately not my own but the manual on the MB web), it says: "Fit new tyres on the front wheels first if tyres of the same size are required on the front and rear wheels".

So I guess MB does recommend new tires to the front. I would still not do that on my MB.

Reply to
Name

Hm. Well, aren't all Mercedes modesl rear wheel drive? Except for the 4-Matics and SUVs.

[...]

My wagon isn't a 4-matic but where would two new tires go then? Still to the back?

Just curious,

Des

Reply to
Des

I think it's 'old school', others I've asked say new tires to the front, as well; my husband said "That's what my father always told me."

Well, what do you expect? They can't even spell 'tires' correctly. ;-)

I'm relieved to know that Herb the Mercedes Man knew what he was talking about, anyway.

Thanks for your posts.

~Des

(Nice Name.)

Reply to
Des

What I meant in short is that consistency seems to exist if one requires the new tyres to go onto the undriven wheels. With 4 wheel drives we are likely beginning to split hairs

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I was always under the understanding that the purpose for putting the newer tires on the front was that the older tires were more likely to fail sooner and if a tires blows out while driving, that it is better for it to NOT be on the steering end of the car, so you can more safely pull off the road. If a drive tire goes your car will still be hard to handle, but not near as much as if a steering tire goes out!

Reply to
wc98

Aha. Here we go. Well, the tire service man said exactly the opposite. He gave an example of a blowout and said, specifically, that the tire manufacturers would rather have a blowout on the front.

~Des

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." ~Dudley Moore

Reply to
Des

Reply to
Paul

FROM A MERCEDES DEALER: new tires go on the front!!!!!!!!! It is true, it is in the owners manual. (so the dealer just told me)

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

Hey, this was already posted, a Mercedes dealer and the manual says so, but the group, myself at least would want to know why, some good arguments supporting this view? The majority of opinions, some with personal experience claim that better car handling is not one.

Reply to
Name

Funny, Goodyear says the rear axle

There's also a good article at Tire Rack
that explains why new tires should go on the rear axle (to increase vehicle control in case of hydroplaning). Josh

Reply to
Josh