New to Mercedes

I've just bought a 99 SLK230 after owning a Ford Focus (I know!!) and what a difference! I separated a year ago and decided now was the time to have fun
and go and do it! What a difference. I commute 90 miles a day, so thought, why not do it in style!
Now I know what makes car enthusiasts what they are. The smell of the leather, the retro dials and so on. The roof going down is also a real crowd puller!
There is a question in this... I notice there are a lot of Mercedes on here that are really old. Do they really last this long? Mine is at 65000 miles and I'm looking at about 25000 a year. Obviously, it will be serviced at the recommended levels. How long do you think this car would last? I'd like to keep it for ever but any thoughts? I suppose the real answer is 'until you meet someone else and have kids!' but realistically?
cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.
Congratulations on the great car! Stick to the maintenance schedule religiously (not ignoring coolant and brake fluid changes) and you can easily get well over 200K miles. Always use OEM filters, coolant, and high quality synthetic lubricants like Mobil1.
Mercedes are great cars as you have found out and the cost of ownership is reasonable considering how well the cars hold up over the miles.
Scott D

With proper maintenance, a classic Mercedes can last forever!

The SLK is a good model. It should last as long as the owner is willing to care for it.
Depending your local MB dealer, you may also consider searching out a highly qualified independent MB garage ( start with recommendaitons and ones that repair only MB), and maybe doing some of the maintenance yourself..............................
Scott D

You probably will never wear out the powertrain. MB problems in recent years are mainly with "the toys" that all the new models are equipped with. Service the car per MB instructions and you will get many miles out of it, at least from the engine, transmission, and differential. Good luck with the rest of the car. ___________________________________________

On 8/11/03 6:24 pm, in article Sxarb.100$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com,

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing it good! Unfortunately, just got my first speed ticket - doing 38mph in a 30mph area (area is a dual lane at 0:15) but was caught with an automatic camera so situation and time of night and road conditions were not taken into account! Still....
Get yourself a good radar detector so you can enjoy the car with less worry. A mid priced detector will do fine so long as you are driving at safe (albeit higher) speeds. I have Cobra detectors with voice-alert in a few of our cars. They give enough warning when somewhat close to the limit (say 10 or 20 mph), and the voice alert keeps eyes on the road.
(btw it should be easy to get an 8mph over ticket in those conditions & that type of device, reduced by about 7mph or even dropped)
Depends upon where you live but around here, $100 for an attorney beats $1000 to the insurance company, and $50 for a radar detector is better yet :-)
Scott D