Nicked mercedes badge

Page 1 of 2
Some joker has nicked the 3-pointed star off the bonent of my E320 (W210) - when I opened the bonnet a spring assembly fell out. Are these readily available or have to go to MB directly?

--

jeremy

Go to MB. Cheap fix, done on the spot, I expect.
DAS
Get yerself a removeable one, or you'll keep buying new ones. I'm in the US and got mine from adsitco.com. I'm sure there is some source in the UK. BTW, these aren't made with the same quality of the real Benz ones, but they don't get stolen if you remember to take it out when you park. Richard

Unless one is in an area of constant theft I can't see the point.
DAS
The point is that just about every area is an area of constant theft. I've had mine stolen in my a parking lot of my college right outside of the police department and I've had mine stolen in the parking lot of an expensive department store in an even more expensive neighborhood where the vast majority of houses are over $1 million. Richard

Oh, bad luck!
I have to say this very carefully and quietly (in case I tempt the Fates...): the star-stealing epidemic in the areas in which I move in western Europe seems to have largely passed....
;-) DAS

Also quietly.... Same here in the pacific Northwest of the United states.
I wonder, does anybody know of a replacement for the hood ornament that would be more like just a button (ie flat to the hood). I find the tri star a bit ostentatious...
Although I have heard it's a nice pointing aid after a session of heavy drinking.
Marty
Yes, ask any MB dealer. It's the solution to those suffering from The Epidemic, at least for older cars.
It's the same as the little vertical button below the star.
From your comments I deduce you are in favour of the passing of the vertical star (gone from all so-called sporty models). I am not... :-)
DAS
I like it standing out there as well. Not ostentatious to me at all, really a classy ID. On an '81 300TD, it's hard to BE ostentatious! ;-)
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I would mourn the passing of he vertical star.
Regards
I ususally replaced the star on the newer MB's with the heavier duty star off an old MB.... Star would stay longer than a month at a time ....at the hands of the vandals that way.

vertical
I've had my star swiped three times in about 7 years, twice in front of a friends house,(a cop, no less), and once while it was at the mechanics. The drivers side window was smashed and the trunk was whacked on that one also.
Mechanic told me that the way the little weasels get the star out is twist and twist and twist to tighten the spring on the underside of the hood. Eventually, the spring puts enough tension on the mounting that it spins and pops back through the hood. I made it more difficult to do this by bending the tabs a bit on the underside of the hood once it was installed. This prevents it from easily popping through the hole. Vandals would either have to snap the star off the hood or do some serious prying to get it out. Most of the ones who just want the stars for trophys or jewelry are not willing to do this as it takes time and makes noise, two things they don't want.
Admittedly, after replacing the third one, the temptation was there to hook a capacitor to the hood ornament.....Won't do it, but tempted, yes!!!!!
Rochelle
Miller" writes:

ISTR some older Austins made their "flying A" stand-up ornament double as release catch and handle for the bonnet (er, hood): you tipped it and the lock disengaged.
Another tack on this:- With cars going so much faster and ways to reduce drag being more of an issue, what scope would there be for (in effect) transfers? The logo would lie almost flush with the bonnet, cause little drag and be really hard to steal in any meaningful way. And as fancy as desired, even coloured. -- Andrew Stephenson

You guys do know that the real purpose for the ornaments was originally that they were the tops to the radiators (tops stuck out above the hood since you would be topping off the radiator so often), right? Richard

Well, yes and no. It would be more accurate to say that they were _adornments_ to the tops of the radiators. It wasn't strictly necessary to have a Spirit Of Ecstasy or whatever atop the radiator cap, but having some sort of ornamentation up there sort of took the edge off, aesthetically speaking.
Geoff
--
"A foolish consistency is the knob-gobblin' of small minds."

The star was on the rad cap and this allusion stayed for on for many years.
DAS
Auto Historians will tell you that the hood ornament came not from the radiator cap nor its adornment. They were thermometers, simple yet effective without wiring.
On 4 Jan 2005 23:18:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

But is was still stuck on the radiator cap, no? Maybe not ab initio, but certainly later.
DAS
Tasten:

Today they show you, were your car ends in the front;-)
To me a Mercedes without star is like a cowboy without cowboy boots.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
If you want 'ostentation' you should see the star that is (or was) on a building near the Gedchtniskirche in Berlin in the city centre. I tried to get a picture from Prof Google but did not see the star.
Maybe it's been moved to the new DC buildings at Potsdammer Platz.
DAS