Nicked mercedes badge

Some joker has nicked the 3-pointed star off the bonent of my E320 (W210) - when I opened the bonnet a spring assembly fell out. Are these readily available or have to go to MB directly?

Reply to
Jeremy

Go to MB. Cheap fix, done on the spot, I expect.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Reply to
marlin

Unless one is in an area of constant theft I can't see the point.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Reply to
marlin

Oh, bad luck!

I have to say this very carefully and quietly (in case I tempt the Fates...): the star-stealing epidemic in the areas in which I move in western Europe seems to have largely passed....

;-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Also quietly.... Same here in the pacific Northwest of the United states.

I wonder, does anybody know of a replacement for the hood ornament that would be more like just a button (ie flat to the hood). I find the tri star a bit ostentatious...

Although I have heard it's a nice pointing aid after a session of heavy drinking.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Yes, ask any MB dealer. It's the solution to those suffering from The Epidemic, at least for older cars.

It's the same as the little vertical button below the star.

From your comments I deduce you are in favour of the passing of the vertical star (gone from all so-called sporty models). I am not... :-)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

ISTR some older Austins made their "flying A" stand-up ornament double as release catch and handle for the bonnet (er, hood): you tipped it and the lock disengaged.

Another tack on this:- With cars going so much faster and ways to reduce drag being more of an issue, what scope would there be for (in effect) transfers? The logo would lie almost flush with the bonnet, cause little drag and be really hard to steal in any meaningful way. And as fancy as desired, even coloured.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I like it standing out there as well. Not ostentatious to me at all, really a classy ID. On an '81 300TD, it's hard to BE ostentatious! ;-)

Reply to
tweaks

You guys do know that the real purpose for the ornaments was originally that they were the tops to the radiators (tops stuck out above the hood since you would be topping off the radiator so often), right? Richard

Reply to
marlin

Well, yes and no. It would be more accurate to say that they were _adornments_ to the tops of the radiators. It wasn't strictly necessary to have a Spirit Of Ecstasy or whatever atop the radiator cap, but having some sort of ornamentation up there sort of took the edge off, aesthetically speaking.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

The star was on the rad cap and this allusion stayed for on for many years.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

If you want 'ostentation' you should see the star that is (or was) on a building near the Gedächtniskirche in Berlin in the city centre. I tried to get a picture from Prof Google but did not see the star.

Maybe it's been moved to the new DC buildings at Potsdammer Platz.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

...Potsdamer Platz.. (one m)...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

One more time...

Here is a star on the Merc building on said square. Nothing like as obvious as next to the Gedächtniskirche.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Wow! Just imagine how big that radiator must be! :~)

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I would mourn the passing of he vertical star.

Regards

Reply to
The Old Bloke

Auto Historians will tell you that the hood ornament came not from the radiator cap nor its adornment. They were thermometers, simple yet effective without wiring.

Reply to
Bob

Some hoodlum stole the original one so he could wear it around his neck though so this is just a removeable one that a guy takes out when they close up shop :-) Richard

Reply to
marlin