No Valet Trunk Lock in 2005

The 2005 MBs (at least my SL and my friend's CL) no longer offer the ability to valet lock the trunk with the metal key. You can still lock the glove compartment and the key works in the truck as an emergency unlock but won't valet lock it. Why on earth would Mercedes eliminate this function? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Doug

Reply to
GlobetrotterDoug

Probablly to save a few bucks per unit sold.

Reply to
Dana

No, wrong. You have the US government to thank for this. By law, if someone locks you in the trunk, i.e. a carjacker, you HAVE to be able to get out. Open your trunk lid and look up. See that blinking green light button? That is how you open the trunk if you are inside it. The car makers HAD to remove valet locking for this to work.

Reply to
Karl

Ah zo - der great engineers in Sinderfeller can't put an emergency trunk release like a little red button inside the trunk? Have you seen the latest financial results for the company? Of course it is all about cutting the costs even further as gud ole Jerkin Shrimp tries to feather his retirement nest.

mcbrue down by the river in the trailer under the bridge

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Interesting. Curious. Nobody (at Merc) gave me any reason when I noticed this on my 2001 CLK (bought and driven in Europe).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

button? That is how you open the

Reply to
marlinspike

All I can think of is their trademark: "BMW, the ultimate German death machine!"

8*)
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I know nothing about BMW. I am a MB tech/shop foreman at a MB only dealership for the past 26 years.

Reply to
Karl

they did a test with kids if you can believe that.

put them in the trunk

told them that there was a way out. with the light that stays on while the car is running they tested buttons levers you name it.

with a hidden camera not one would or could figure out how to open the trunk. some of the kids were scared of the glowing handle & buttons.

one guy came up the light & the handle the light was in the lid & shined on the handle. looked like an out side car door handle every kid put in found the way out.

i my self would start ripping wires apart.

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Because BMW that translates to B ring M e W hithersoever (unseen)

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Whithersoever!

That is how I plan my vacations.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

So did I for a long time: Booking a car ferry to the UK (or Scandinavia), leaving all the rest unplanned, touring around, free for any spontaneous ideas and locations.

I LOVED it back in the days of Opel Kadett and Ford Taunus/Cortina, it was so uncomplicated and interesting...

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

I can certainly relate to that sentiment.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

"Interesting"? In the Chinese sense?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Dori, please enlighten me, what's the _Chinese sense_ of _interesting_?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

As in the old Chinese(?) curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

There is a great deal of truth in that.

People hate living with day to day uncertainty.

They like security and predictability.

This is why many liked living in a Communist regime.

Good book on the subject: Happiness: Lessons from a New Science by Richard Layard.

Key point is Gross National Product does not vary uniformly with happiness.

It may however help to have a nice Mercedes.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Correct. Too exciting to cope with, or something like that (hence "curse").

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling