noise front end '79 mb 240d

I have a '79 mb 240d, over 200k miles.

noticed a whup-whup=whup noise from passenger side front end this am.

increases w speed, seems to go away at hiway speed.

I think it is a wheel bearing.

how easy is it to replace this?

or if not, what is it?

jerry

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking dreams

If it is wheel bearing, going around the corner will cause a "roaring" noise... This is the only way to tell by hearing of wheel bearing.

If it is after hitting a pothole or bump, whup sound might be the shock absorber... try standing on your front bumper and rock the car up and down to see if you can hear the whup... it does sound like a tire a bouncing... causing cupping on tires... feel the tires to see if you have high and low spots... if so, shocks are bad.

Reply to
Tiger

After 200K miles a noise like this could be from several causes. I'd vote for a tire but could also be a bearing, tie rod end, ball joint. shock absorber.

DO investigate it promptly, DON'T ignore it.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I driving to work this am, about 60 mph, and the noise got real loud, whap-whap-whap, was related to speed, I slowed down and looked under car, could not see anything.

Started back up, going slow, noise still there, drove 35-40 for about 2 miles, then then noise decreased, then increased again, then disappeared.

Any ideas?

j.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking dreams

Reply to
John

tire are brand new, less than 6 months on car.

does that make a difference?

j.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking dreams

No. New tires can separate. It can also be hard to detect with tires >

Reply to
John