Nokia 6310i/E200 Classic "W" reg

Firstly, I know next to nothing about mobile phones, and even less about Mercedes!

I just bought an E200 Classic "W" 2000 Reg, fitted with a Nokia Cark91 kit. The microphone is fitted above the mirror.

Naively, I thought that if I bought the right phone, and slotted it into the kit, all would be well.

Well, the phone works ok, it rings whilst in the holder, but when pressing the "lift receiver" button on the steering wheel, I get a message on the dash "function not available" and a little telephone symbol.

My question is -Is it going to cost me an arm and a leg to get this working? Apparerently everything is there, I'm hoping its just a matter of setting it up properly?

Shiela S

Reply to
Shiela S

The only thing that will work with the intelligent steering wheel is the Merc factory-fitted telephone system. Unless somebody in ths NG knows, you'll have to ask a dealer if it can be retrofitted. Or, what do you mean by "Apparerently everything is there" and who said it?

Will probably cost several hundred pounds at least.

These days even attempting a retrofit may not be worthwhile as the phones and their interfaces change so quickly. Perhaps there is some prewiring. This was an option on cars bought in Germany (which I did), allowing one to fit another cradle later. I took the full system option as my mobile phone operator in the UK told me he would not use any such wiring but install everything.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks for the info. Being so naive, I didn't realise that only a Merc kit would work via the steering wheel.

Reply to
Shiela S

From where does the sound come out when operating the phone? Dedicated speaker or the car's sound system? If the latter, is the sound system a factory-fitted Merc one?

DAS