North American Smart Car

Does anyone know of a separate NG to discuss the Smart Car - or are there people here that I can ask questions and get opinions from?
For example, I'm interested in knowing if I could put a small kayak on
top of one.
Thanks
Andrew Butchart snipped-for-privacy@floatingbear.ca

Not to mention our roads. Though Vancouver's road surface is excellent compared to the east coast.
cp
snipped-for-privacy@floatingbear.ca (Andrew Butchart) haute in die Tasten:

Do they sell quite normal passenger cars in Canada, such as Toyota Corolla, VW Golf or Mitsubishi Colt? If so, you can also drive a smart in canada. The car does not have extraordinary low ground clearance, and all technical standards are those of plain small passenger cars.
Of course the smart is no Ford F150. But it also is no toy. And from my limited knowledge about Canada I assume that most Canadians live in city areas like Toronto or Vancouver. I doubt that the streets in Toronto are worse than the streets in Munich. For guys who have to commute hundreds of miles regularily the smart definitely is the wrong car. OTOH for a three mile trip from home to office, an F150 is the wrong car.
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@floatingbear.ca (Andrew Butchart) haute in die Tasten:

I have driven several smarts over several hundred miles. Compared to a compact car like the VW Golf the smart has some disadvantages:
- considerably less ride comfort (stiff suspension) - slightly more noise - less width of cabin - slightly nervous ride stability due to extremely short wheelbase
If you compare the highway mileage of a Golf SDI to a smart city coup, you will find out that the smart is not extremely economic. Its advantages are most visible in city traffic.
If I were you, I would try to hire one for two days and try it on your own.
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@floatingbear.ca (Andrew Butchart) haute in die Tasten:

The heating system of the smart definitely is far better than those of air cooled VWs. OTOH the smart cdi (Diesel Engine) does not produce very much heat. I would rate the heating of the gas model "okay".
Frank

There is a Smart NG: de.alt.auto.smart
but
- it is in German and - very dull {maybe because (i) there isn't a lot to discuss, (ii) the participants don't like to discuss life, the universe and Everything very much and (iii) and the participants don't tolerate sarcasm etc very much}.
DAS