odometer gears

I learned a little late that it is a bad idea to reset the trip odometer while in motion. Now the odemeter works perhaps every three times I drive. Neither odemeter works as it should now. I have read
that these parts can be purchased (though pretty darn expensive for plastic gears) and I am wondering if anyone out there has fixed this same problem. Is repairing this myself a HUGE job or can it be done in a couple of hours? Not quite sure how to get into the dash area. Thanks for any tips.
cable
Not a huge job... a couple of hours is about right. $25 for one tiny gear.. but no choice. Alot cheaper than odo shop.
Overseas speedometer fixes them for $70 including return shipping. Clean it up too.
www.speedometer.com

Am I missing something here? For years, I've reset the odometer while in motion and nothing broke on me.
Jay

No... it is mainly due to age... it is just that in the motion... there are slight extra stress... that will crack the odometer gear... if you seen it yourself... you would understand...
The gear that breaks is very thin and sits on top of brass gear... two pieces... yes. so the thin on breaks and leaves the brass gear all alone and non contact with the rest of odometer.
Try this fix as described here. Worked for me.
http://sl107.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&sI36035941&f#46035941&mR2108785