Official Smart Fortwo presentation in Europe today

Today the new Smart Fortwo - an all-new model - will be presented.
Analysts from CSM worldwide expect a sales volume of 100.000 vehicles worldwide a year, including
up to 27.000 in the US. Roger Penske's United Auto Group shall establish a dealer network of 30 to 50 outlets in the US, having received more than 900 applications so far.
Sale in the US shall start in 2008, but maybe will start just before Christmas 2007. (source: ams Germany)
Juergen
Juergen . wrote:

Cool !
After I get the Sprinter and the motorcycle that I will keep in the Sprinter, I will get a Smart and keep that in the Sprinter too so that when I have to park a mile away from my destination because I have a Sprinter I will have transportation!
.
greek_philosophizer wrote:

and :
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0-5-643446-1-655385-1-0-0-0-0-0-13-7163-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html
World Premiere of the New smart fortwo:
"The city loves you. Even more."
Stuttgart, Germany, November 10, 2006
The new smart fortwo has arrived: The smart fortwo coup and smart fortwo cabrio were un-veiled to more than 550 international journalists yesterday evening in Stuttgart for the very first time. The location was unusual, but nonetheless very fitting for the smart fortwo: in the middle of the city, on the roof of a multi-storey car park.
In addition, there were presentations on comfort, agility, safety and environmental friendliness. After all, the new smart fortwo can do everything that its predecessor can do - but even better.
This means that the new smart fortwo is even more comfortable, even more agile, even safer and even more environmentally friendly than its predecessor.
Comfort: The smart fortwo is fun to drive
The comfort of a car depends on more than just its seats. Nonetheless, the seats have been further improved in the new smart fortwo. Enjoyable motoring largely depends on whether a car is fun to drive.
The smart fortwo has always offered lots of driving pleasure and the new smart fortwo will be even more fun to drive. Apart from this, the vehicle concept is highly practical - especially for people who live in cities or urban areas. Because on most journeys a car carries just a single occupant, and because people make faster progress through the city in a smart fortwo. And because they don't have to search for a parking space, they find one right away.
Agility: New engines and transmissions
The new petrol engines pack a far more powerful punch: The three cylinder engine has capacity of one liter and comes in ratings of 45 kW, 52 kW or 62 kW (61 bhp, 71 bhp or 84 bhp). The engine power of the smart fortwo cdi has increased by ten percent and now stands at 33 kW (45 bhp).
All engines are linked to an automated manual five-speed transmission that has also been reengineered. The petrol variants now have a maximum speed of 145 km/h - 10 km/h more than the predecessor model.
Safety: Maximum occupant protection
The high level of passive safety has been further improved. As the new smart fortwo will be sold in the USA from 2008, it also complies with the strict American crash regulations as well as the high standards of the Mercedes Car Group.
Likewise, new regulations concerning pedestrian protection have been implemented in the front section. Furthermore, new head/thorax side airbags, offering extensive protection in the event of a side crash, are available as an option.
Environmental friendliness: Exceedingly low consumption
Despite the greater engine power, the standard consumption of the petrol variants is less than five liters of fuel. The new smart fortwo cdi consumes even less fuel. In accordance with the New European Driving Cycle, its consumption is less than 3.5 liters per 100 kilometers.
The diesel variant of the previous model already boasted the lowest consumption in its class. With an emission of just 90 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometer, the new smart fortwo cdi achieves "three liter" status
.
But it is not exempt from the London Congestion Charge whereas the 36 ft Hummer limo apparently is (because it counts as a bus).
DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...