Oil Cooler Question

In models that have an oil cooler but have no fan associated with it, will the engine run significantly hotter without it? It seems like it would be most effective in wind (such as on the highway); but, in
traffic, where engines are subject to overheating the most, it wouldn't be as effective. I ask because mine is defective in a W124 Diesel Turbo (93 300D Turbo) -- it is cracked and I'd like to avoid replacing it. Would there be any other adverse consequences...

it. Would there be any... adverse consequences...
It's a judgement call. Obviously the added cooling capacity of the oil radiator is most important in high-temp, high-load conditions. If your anticipated driving conditions are rather more sedentary, it is unlikely that losing that capacity will affect your engine's longevity.
These oil coolers have a 195 F. degree thermostat. Their function is to shed excess heat from the oil. That occurs when one is putting lots of fuel into the engine as in climbing a long hill or driving at very high speeds, not while idling in traffic, even with the A/C on.
So you're right about the oil cooler's lack of cooling in traffic - because it's not needed in that condition. If you remove it be sure the radiator is in very good condition and take it easy on the long hills.
Where is the 195 degree cooler thermostat you are referring to? Oil seems to flow in and out of the hoses whenever the engine is running...

The oil cooler thermostat in the Mercedes 5 cylinder diesels is located in the oil filter housing. However, this thermostat does not open a 195 degrees F. Depending on your model year, they have either a 100 C or a 110 C thermostat. That would be 212 F or 230 F.
Well, this is a 6 cylinder Diesel...it's an '87 W124 chassis, the only year for the 6 cylinder in the U.S., I believe, right? Perhaps the thermostat is stuck open because it flows in and out of these tubes even when the engine is cold.
Do any models have a fan in front of the oil cooler? I understand that in Europe, if you got a factory-installed hitch, it does have a seperate fan.