oil filter magnets?

I've been researching rare earth magnets lately and I bought a collection of them to experiment with.
I came across someone selling a magnet that is meant to be placed on your oil filter.
The theory is that a filter cannot be made fine enough to stop the really small metal particles, or the oil couldn't flow. The magnet catches these particles as they pass through the filter.
Sounds logical. What do you think?
--

best regards,
Ra

http://surfpick.com
βœ–
Won't hurt anything so try it.
But why don't the manufacturers add a magnet, say, to the drain plug (which is sold as an after market gadget)?
Add pictures here
βœ–
"T.G. Lambach" wrote

Yeah, I've seen those.
Good question, about the manufacturers. Maybe they will, someday?
--

best regards,
Ra

http://surfpick.com
βœ–

I don't think that metal particles small enough to pass through the filter are really a threat to anything. In reality the biggest threat to your engine from your oil is acidity from sulfurous blow-by gasses, and crud that comes from the petroleum based products themselves.
Save your money from the magnet people and by some fully synthetic motor oil instead.
My 2c (US) Marty
Add pictures here
βœ–
I heared about these magnets in the times engines were cast out of iron. The newer engines have more an more aluminiumalloys which are nor really magnetic.So won΄t catch much with a magnet. Greetings Max
Ra schrieb:

Add pictures here
βœ–