Oil for enegine

Hello MB freks.
I have a W124 300 TD Turbo diesel from 1991 with 300.000 km on the "clock"
The last two weeks a noice is coming fra the valves when running idle warm
or cold enegine.
I have only had the car half a Year, and only changed the oil once. I use Shell 10W40. Is it possible to remove the noise with another oli fx. 0W30 or 0W40 ?? Is it normally to maybe change the valvelifters already at this km-stand ?
Hope to have som help ;-))
regards
Holten Denmark
The thinner the oil the nosier the engine will be. I would NOT put 0-30 or 0-40 in any engine that has gone 300,000 km, or even one km. No reason to use 0-XX oil. See: http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/Guidechart2002.pdf
Suggest you have the timing chain checked for wear and chain stretch before the chain breaks and damages the engine.