oil pressure gauge pegged out

Hi All,
Picked up an '83 300D. Oil pressure guage pegs on high when above idle. What could cause this??

I need to pick up a good detailed maintenance manual for an '83 300D. What do you folks recommend?
There are CD-ROMs (that lack an index) and paper manuals FS on ebay. The latter are the way to go if you're serious, IMHO.
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:19:13 -0800, "T.G. Lambach"

After looking at the CD I just ordered out of curiosity, I'd be inclined to agree. You certainly get what you pay for. The CD is close to worthless.
The CDs are scans of the books. While I prefer the books, theyll most likely never be made again. Richard

I ordered a complete set of books from my MB dealer. As I recall they were over $100 for the 3-book set but they have info on everything but the auto trans. I've pulled the AT in my wife's 300D and replaced one set of clutches and one band but the real brain-twister is the valve body. There are 13 or 14 different valves in that thing and I can't remember how many steel ball valves are involved but it sure isn't for the faint of heart to work on those. I cleaned the entire valve body, reassembled it using a single exploded view that had been copied several times before I got it but was shocked when everything worked! Been more than a year now and still going strong.

You are brave... I salute you!

Good oil pressure.
This is normal. It should be pegged when cold started and should drop to about 2 when idling and hot.
Marty
Normal
Paul

A properly running engine. Oil pressure should peg as soon as it's off idle. If it doesn't you have a problem. Pressure at idle can be anywhere except pegged depending on the oil and temperature.
Perfectly normal. On my 81 300Tdt there is actually a clear line that runs from the filter housing through the firewall and into the dash.. Filled with oil, I reckon. Sort of strange, but it does seem to work.
Tweaks