Oil Question

I'm a newbie to Mercedes, so please excuse this question if it seems too dumb to be asked. My 300CE didn't come with an owner's manual so I have little choice. My question is: other than pulling out the dipstick, how do
I know just how much oil is left? The needle on the oil gauge goes up and down all the time, which I assume is normal. Am I supposed to read the correct level when the car's idle?
The motor will idle with 1.5 to 2.0 BAR oil pressure and peg at 3.0 while driving. The oil level on the dip stick should be BETWEEN the two notches or marks on the dip stick. Overfilling is bad so don't, the extra oil gets aerated by the spinning crankshaft and the tiny bubbles prevent full oil pressure from being achieved.
As to what kind of oil to buy see: http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/Guidechart2002.pdf
And buy an Owner's Manual; it will tell you a lot about the car. Dealer, www.MBUSA.com or http://www.tmcpubl.com//mercedes.html or www.books4cars.com
The oil level can only be read off the dipstick with the car level and the engine shut off.
The oil gauge you are looking at is pressure only - it IS NOT an indicator of oil level. Pressure will vary with engine speed and cold start temperature. If the pressure goes to zero you have big problems.
You did not say the year of your car, but it should have an low oil level warning light on instrument cluster. Be sure the bulb is good by checking if it lights when you first turn the ignition on (yellow light with a small oil can on it). If that light starts to blink-on when braking or in a curve, it is certainly time to add oil. If it remains on constantly while driving, check the oil level at once. Do not depend on this light exclusively though, check the dipstick regularly.
Scott D

Shouldn't the oil pressure gauge show max for anything above idle?
Once one is convinced that there is no leak then -- subject to extreme driving conditions -- it should not be necessary to add oil between the 6000-mile changes.
DAS --
Shouldn't the oil pressure gauge show max for anything above idle? ___________________________________________ Most MB oil guages show "max" above idle.

Your oil gauge only measures oil pressure. The gauge fluctuates depending on temperature, condition of the oil, demand on the engine, etc. You check your oil level before starting your car (cold) and with it sitting on level ground. The color and feel are important.