Oil sensor malfunction

E280 saloon 1998 reg.( auto - advantgarde) 126 K mileage. "Oil sensor malfunction" Above warning appears infrequently (about four times in the last 6 months)
Each time I check the oil level which is always at maximum. Is it an expensive job to remedy ? Can I forget it, as long as I check oil level regularly? Merc. agents will not discuss the problem they just say book it in for investigation. 80 per hour !!
justsid
Call an independant shop and they'll tell you how much it will most likely cost to repair. Richard

One way to verify is to do the oil change...Mercedes use vacuum method so it is not so messy. You can suck em up and measure the amount... if you measured 8 quarts and the spec called for 8 quarts, then you are fine.
What to do with the oil? It would be wise to change it at that time... or you can pour it back if synthetic.
OK! Thanks for reply. As I said, there appears to be no oil loss, dipstick shows maximum level. Is there any point in doing another oil change ?
justsid

You got a dipstick? In USA. there are no dipstick. No point to do any oil change... Dipsticks don't lie.
Yep! just what I thought, I'll ignore any more warnings and will keep checking the level.
Thanks !
justsid