Oil types- Please exlpain?

Hi all- I was wondering what the reccomended oil is for a 1986 300e in the NYC area.... Actually, if someone could explain to me the differences in oil
specifications, it would be much appreciated.
IE: 5w-30, 10w-40- what do the various #'s refer to? Thanks much, Chris
http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/Guidechart2002.pdf
No mention of weights on that chart at all.
Here's the way I understand it, and if I'm wrong, I'd like someone to explain it to all of us.
Oil gets thinner as it gets hotter. Through more high-tech refining, it can be stabilized over a wide temp, displaying multiple weights.
- 10w oil is thin; sewing machine and 3-in-1 household oil are 5 or 10w.
- 30w is about right for a warmed-up gasoline engine.
- 90w is the gear oil used in the rear end, thick and syrupy.
- Multi weight oils cover a wider range; 10-40, when it's cold, won't get thicker than straight 10w, and when it's hot, won't get thinner than straight 40w. This allows it to cover a wide range of driving conditions.
- 10-30 is fine for most driving, but not as wide ranging as 10-40.
- If you ride an air-cooled bike, you'll have a very wide range of temperatures, and probably use 5-30 in the winter and 10-50 summer.
- In the winter, when your engine never gets very hot, 10-40 is probably overkill. 10-30 would be fine.
- If you live where it's hot and never gets cold, you'd probably be OK with straight 30 or even 40w. You need the multi-weight to keep from bogging down a cold engine.

wow I am so glad I read this... hey... you know which to use for a 320 CLK? 1999? Synthetic or regular?
thank you.

So what weight is castor oil? That is good for feeding to some dealers ...
mcbrue under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
Excellent... Thanks very much for that....