Old body style SL?

Hello all

I am considering my next car for next year/year after and am wondering about the old body style SL. What are peoples opinions on this? Any good generally? Any specific years/items/models to avoid?

-- Christopher Thirkell Managing Director - Bespoke Packaging Limited Tel: 01268 412255 / Fax: 01268 412822

Reply to
CT

Stylewise, I prefer my "old" 129 over the new model... and besides, if there is no canvas, it isn't a roadster but a friggin' sardine-can (harrumph!) :

Despite the engineering advances, the R230 is too darned "rice-burner" looking for my tastes... but then, perhaps I'm just an old fart!

The only major problem to date on my '94 SL500 has been the dreaded AC evaporator core (the car is literally built around it, so replacement is a real chore), but with 80,000 miles on the clock, I still enjoy it and am nowhere near ready to part with it!

Paul

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

We still enjoy our '88 560SL (107). Only significant problem we've had was the cam shaft, forget now which one (left or right). Apparently Mercedes had a bad batch that were not properly heat treated and therefore were very soft. Lobes wore out very quickly. It was replaced under warranty and has been fine ever since. One minor problem was the release mechanism for the hardtop. A poorly adjusted latch/wire system makes it very difficult to remove the hard top. I adjusted the wires myself, no trouble now. Of course we've experienced all the typical nuisance issues with the heating/cooling system but nothing terrible. Bad relays and switches, that sort of thing. Currently the heating/cooling fan works intermittently. Will get that fixed this Fall. The car is a hoot to drive and it still turns heads every time we take it out. It's now my wife's Summer car so it's semi-retired. It did perform well through many brutal Alaskan winters though! Dale

Reply to
Dale

So Dale... you and Camile have how many Mercedes? a CL500...560SL and a ML320?

Reply to
Tiger

So if a brand new SL65 just happened to appear in your driveway you would be horrified ?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer
113... Last of the cool sl's....
Reply to
AJDalton7

Ummm... sorry, I honestly do not want one. But if a 300SL gull-wing were to appear in my driveway.... ahhhhh, Nirvana!

The problem I suffer from is in coveting and romanticizing automobiles of yesteryear. I get a reality check though when I remember all the knuckle-busting that went along with keeping some of my rides running smoothly. My (mis)adventures with British Leyland products (and Lucas--- the "prince of darkness"), instilled my appreciation of German engineering. :o)

Paul

---

--- "greek_philos> > looking for my tastes... but then, perhaps I'm just an old fart! > >

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

That reminds me of something a British friend once told me:

"Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas refrigerators."

:-)

Reply to
Josh

Never had a ML320. They kinda look like tennis shoes from the side... We traded our '96 S500C in last fall on a new Dodge Hemi 4X4 pick-up truck. We couldn't sell it after six months of trying, no market for a high-end MB coupe in Alaska. Big mistake, should have kept it and not bought the CL500. Anyway, we now have the '88 560SL that we'll always keep and the CL500 that has been nothing but a trial since we bought it. Both those are Camille's... one for summer - one for winter. I drive my Dodge. Hoping Mercedes will put one of these Hemi engines in something soon. Now that would be a hoot!

Do you run your own MB shop Tiger?

Dale

Reply to
Dale

No... I don't run any shop... I fix my own cars and my folks... and sometime my relatives... I am just car crazy.

A house call to Alaska is too expensive ;o)

Reply to
Tiger

Very good. I must remember this.

DAS Cold beer lover (even if it's a bitter)

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling