Old tyres :(

I guess you don't realise that

1) Sense of humour in NL is similar (drier, even) to UK (so even anyone moving there could easily become 'acclimatised).

2) Most people in NL pick up British TV, English is widely understood, so it would be no surprise to find an army of Monty Python aficionados who appreciate (or hate) it like the natives.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Even more OT. . . Has anyone seen the 2-3 episodes of Monty Python done in German for German TV? Does the humour translate?

John M in the forests of British Columbia

Reply to
John Mauel

According to my wife the humor doesn't even translate to English... :-)

Reply to
Josh

Amazingly: yes. One at least, decades ago. Pure coincidence. I was with friends in Germany. The TV was on and suddenly I noticed the Monty Python team. I remember an Albrecht Dürer theme. It was pretty funny, especially as the German was not great.

I don't think the other people there thought the show that funny, but then I was the only one who wasn't new to the series.

IIRC they were pilots for Germany but nothing came of it.

Would not mind seeing them again

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

When I was kid and just started watching Monty Python, I used to watch the whole episode and think well that was sort of a lifeless outing. Then I would go to school and attempt to explain to a friend a small element of the show. It was in the explaining it to others that the absurdity of a 16 ton weight falling on a man's head or a soldier attacking his drill instructor with a banana came alive for me. I would laugh for about a half hour. That is what I still love about it. When I'm down or feeling dull, an image of 22 philosophers on a soccer pitch will come to me, and I can still burst out laughing, although I haven't seen the episode for twenty years. Baby, that's comedy.

Reply to
Hazey

Just an aside, and speaking of wives, the wife of a friend of mine bought us three Monty Python films when I went to visit them in Spain just so she could watch us watch them. That amused the hell out of her even though she didn't like Monty Python herself. I really think that it is mostly in the retelling that the humor becomes evident; the sharing of it. It's a wonderful thing.

What I want to know is when I am going to be given the comfy chair and a nice cup of tea. Fear and surprise are telling weapons!

Reply to
Hazey

That's cause laughing is free.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

When people start expecting the Spanish Inquisition it kinda spoils the fun, don't you think? ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Well, it's not as heavily taxed as driving a Mercedes, that's for sure...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Hear hear. I first heard about the parrot sketch when two friends started telling me about it (they had seen it on TV). They were giggling furiously and could not stop laughing out loud. Only later did I see the sketch (and still thought it a scream).

Of course some of the dialogue has passed into the language in Britain.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

... snip...

no it isn't ...

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Why not?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

A five-minute one or a ten-minute one? (You knew I would ask that...)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

That isn't an argument. IT'S MERE CONTRADICTION!

(and you knew that I would say THAT!) Hah.

Reply to
Hazey