Older MB diesel start switch question

This is just informational, not a problem per se:
I have a '79 240D, '82 300TD, and '81 300SD. They are all quirky in their own ways but there is one common quirk I've always been curious
about. If you turn the key to crank the engine and it doesn't start (or starts and dies, or you turn it off) you have to turn the key all the way out to the lock position take it out and put it back in to make it crank again. There is some kind of lock that prevents you from just turning it back to crank.
Why?
Add pictures here
✖
You should not have to pull the key out. Just turn it all the off till it stops and turn it back to crank. It is there so you cannot engage the starter after it is running.

Add pictures here
✖
So one doesn't "start" an already running engine!
--

© 2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
On Feb 1, 11:52 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Well that's a sensible idea. I've never seen it on any other car I've had.Thanks to you both!
Add pictures here
✖

I had a 75 BMW 2002 that had that feature also.
Add pictures here
✖

My 2000 VW Jetta was the same way also. Apparently, its a German thing.
Add pictures here
✖