OM603 fuel filter change

For the spin on fuel filter for my 300SDL, the bolt passing through the upper housing has a hole sideways in it. Does this hole need to line up with the hole in the housing or is it not important? Also, the
two O-rings...I know the larger ring goes at the top end of the bolt to seal from the top, but am i correct in thinking the smaller one goes down to the bottom of the hole in the housing plate? When i took the old one out there was only the top ring on so i am guessing about the smaller based on reading in a diesel forum that the smaller one seperates the filtered from non-filter fuel..or something like that. On-line parts diagrams just show both on the bolt but not if the smaller one goes to the bottom of the "well". TIA Shannon

The hole in the bolt does not need to be aligned in any particular direction and the additional seal ring may not apply to your car as the MBEPC shows an upto engine number footnote with it. Post your vin number and I will check to see if the additional seal is for your vehicle or not.
see the illustration with footnote here:
http://home.att.net/~les4parts/126125ffilter.jpg

WDBCB25D3GA274763

First, let me appologize for not answering this sooner as I expected an email notification but there wasn't one.
The additional oring applies only early version 603.960 and 603.971 engines but your vin number calls for a 603.961 engine so the extra o- ring is not for your car. Toss it.
Again, please forgive the lateness of this answer.
Les http://home.att.net/~les4parts /