*** Once A Year Oil Change ***

----- Change Oil Once A Year -----
http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=storefront/afl
+ European Formula 5W-40 + Engineered For 25,000 Miles Of Normal Service
+ Save Money + Increased Engine Protection + Go Green By Decreasing Waste Oil
--
Steve Spence
AMSOIL - The "Once A Year" Oil Change
Tiger wrote:

Hell with once a year, the AMSOIL propaganda has a claim for 409,000 miles without a change.
| Tiger wrote: | > Hi Ken, | > I am wondering what is the big deal about once a year oil change... | > Practically all Mercedes is running once a year oil change... assuming | > 10-12000 miles average driving. | > Mercedes dealer is using simple Mobil 1 oil... and Amsoil uses Mobil 1 | > raw base oil and adds their own additives. Mobil 1 has their own additive in | > addition to their raw base oil. | | Hell with once a year, the AMSOIL propaganda has a claim for 409,000 | miles without a change.
Ken: Not on the same oil filter. At specified intervals, oil analysis is performed and after results recommend that the oil still has sufficient TBN (total base number) for continued use, the oil filter(s) is changed and the oil level is filled to the full mark.
--
Steve Spence
AMSOIL - The "Once A Year" Oil Change
Steve wrote:

The documentation you sent me makes no mention of filter changes or top offs.

I just did my second oil+filter change on a new Chev Uplander 3.9 V6 at 14,400 miles as directed by the engine monitor. I did the first at 6,500 miles as indicated by the monitor. The vehicle is 6 months old. I buy Castrol synthetic oil for C$25 for 4 liters, and fram filters are $6 each. Is there anything that is cheaper than this and/or better for my vehicle?

Well, is there?
You seems to be in Canada and the price is different there by the tax I believe. If you are changing at every 6500 miles for synthetic, the I'd probably go for Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40... which is cheaper and just as good.
However, it seems like your car calls for 5w30... I think the 5w40 is fine except for winter which I would run thinner...
As for oil filter, Fram is not really a great filter... Wix is reputable for outstanding filter quality... I don't know what you can get up there... Bosch is also good.
Also Costco sometime has a coupon sale... I don't know if it is still available... $10 off a pack of 6... $36 for a pack of 6 Mobil 1 5w30 is $26 after discount.

It's not a fixed interval. The engine computer does not monitor the oil per se, but it tracks speed, rpm's, hours of use, and ambient temperature, and advises the interval accordingly. Only thing is, it doesn't have any adjustment factor that I know of for if you are using sythetic or regular oil, so I just follow the recommended intervals plus whatever takes me to the convenient weekend. My commute is about 100 miles per day at the moment, all 80-110 kph, mostly empty expressway, so it's not working very hard. It takes me less time to change than to drop off and pick up at the dealer!

Yes, Canada. I appreciate the comments about the Frams - I think next time I'll just get the filters from the Chev dealer (if he's still in business, hahaha) - they are only the price of a couple of chocolate bars more, once per quarter. I thought the Rotella was a diesel engine oil, is it not? Nothing wrong with the Castrol Syntech - I've got 2 gallons (8 liters?) left so I won't be changing brands anytime soon anyway.
Steve sent me this link for a reputable report:
https://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo 90163&page=testimonials/8pt2_morempg
Here is a clue for you Steve, a reputable firm would put their name on the report. Care to explain why this firm has not? Also, I am driving a Mercedes, not a Class B truck.
Why is it that AMSOIL makes all these claims, and has all these tests, and yet not a single reputable firm is willing to put their name behind it? This strikes me as rather odd.
I also find it interesting that the report compares apple to oranges:
Shell Rotella T 15W40 to 5W30 Quaker State SAE 90 to 20W50 Citco 85W-140 to 75W90
Sorry Steve, you seem to be an nice fellow who believes in the product. You have been courteous, and cordial in your communications. I will give you credit for that. Sadly, the data presented has NO VALIDITY whatsoever until I see something from a reputable neutral third party that is willing to stand behind their reporting.
An independent Porsche shop I use ('01 911) previously used only Mobil 1, but now uses Amsoil. They have always been thorough and reliable, so I suppose that speaks well for Amsoil. Also, it costs some less than Mobil 1.
Mike ('00 S430, still on Mobil 1.)